hey, elk, is this problem up your alley?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2006
w det burb
I received no reply (69 views) to the title post " is this a correct flue tile support method ". I did ask multiple questions, but my major one reguarded the proper way to support clay flue tiles. I know that there is nothing but air surrounding at least two of the four sides of my bottom tile and only a bow in the metal underneath the tile. If I remove the last of the fairly loose cement in the corners will the whole column of tiles drop down or might they be sandwiched between two sides of cement? Thanks, choco. p.s. here's another pic.

Attachments

• Copy of fireplace 2 web.jpg
    Copy of fireplace 2 web.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 322
  • Copy of fireplace 2 web.jpg
    Copy of fireplace 2 web.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 292
It is my understanding in mansory chimneys the flue tiles shound have bottom support on there own.

I have not seen you setup till now It is possible that the metal there was designed to support the clay flue tiles.
I like you, should be concerned about fourside support How thick that metal is. Can angle brackets be welded in to pickup
additional surface support. Looks like bolts would not work no way to get behind there and nut them
As for covering the gaps this could be done with sheet metal.I tmay not an issue if you make a sheet metal dampre plate arrangement and seal around the liner decently.

It also looks like warpage may have had a hand in there disrupting support of the clay flue

Looks like it used to be supported by the firebox. Just weld some angle iron up there. I assume your installing a new insert or something?

Thanks for conf. my suspicions; I will support w/angle and heavy sheet metal screws. Any suggestions for addressing the very large air gaps around the old tile? Should I try to stuff fibreglass in the openings or do something as drastic as breaking out my ch. cap and pouring in hi-temp. ins.--that would probably add structural stability!! thanks, choco.

Status
Not open for further replies.