Hey Long Islanders- I'm looking for Free Wood Rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone has made this connection, it's rare that they would simply share. What you need to do is find tree services in your area that are willing to deliver to your place..... If they bring you wood versus another person, it's going to be because you are in the proximity and they don't have a non-picky wood taker person in that area already, or you have a good place to deliver to, etc.

In other words, you need to let them know yourself that you are interested, and that you are a convenient place to deliver wood that they want to get rid of.

Good luck,

pen

Reactions: Applesister
If you're asking this question because you need firewood for this winter, unless they are small diameter rounds most likely they will not be ready in time. Your best bet at this point would be finding a firewood dealer that truly has seasoned wood (good luck) or eco-bricks or a combo of both.

I am fairly new at the wood burning scene and this forum so thanks everyone for the heads up. @pen yes I understand, I will have to call around and see who is willing to deliver. @nsfd95 north shore near port jeff/stony brook area. @Clyde S. Dale I do have wood for this season but not sure if it will be enough, last winter we used up a lot more wood and everyone seems to be @$150-200 a cord I was thinking of splitting real thin and hope that it may be ok for those cold spring days

Reactions: pen
150 to 200 per cord in your area sounds like a deal to me. Also your plan to split things down small is good also, as it helps, especially if you need to buy that wood and can get it early in the summer and do some of the seasoning yourself.

When talking to tree services, if you have the property for them to deliver to anytime they have wood, with minimal fuss, you have the best chance at getting some. If you do it in a no-pressure way that just lets them know where you are and that you are flexible, you might be surprised at the service you get! In this case, it's the squeaky wheel that gets no service.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how you make out!

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.