Hey the doghouse on the Heritage...what's with it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geka

Oct 30, 2008
New Jersey
A while back I recall someone calling the vent inside in the front of the Heritage the doghouse. Can understand that as it kind of looks like one. Thing we want to know is how in the world do you keep that clear and how important is it to keep clear. Ours is rarely clear with the wood and ash in there but the stove is buring like a dream... we are concerned that we may be causing a problem somewhere down the line. So what y'all think>

I scrape mine clear with a poker before every reload and it seems to be fine. The ash box is worthless on that stove, so I let them build up for a week-ish before shoveling them out. The pile usually get's up to the top of the 'house' but scraping it clear before reload, as I said, will keep it clear through the burn.

Sounds about the same here - drag coals forward w/ every reload, then run the poker across the face of the doghouse to make sure the ~1/2" dia. air inlet hole is visible, repack the hottest, largest coals right over it. Then drop a small, curved split right over the coals w/ 2 large splits in the back. Open the flue damper and primary, close the doors, watch the tiny split burst into flames.

If you're having burns that you're happy with, and the stovetop & flue temps are confirmed to be where they belong, i wouldn't worry about your doghouse too much. For some of us it's a little more important that others, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.