Hey, this is kinda fun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
I'm enjoying burning. There's been a few cold nights the past few nights. I've learned I really have to insulate my piping.

I've had the storage up to 194 or so. I did a big batch burn two nights ago and let it go out. Last night... I had storage up to 180 or so, with a big fire still going. I checked it once about 330 when I woke up. It was at 183 and still going good. I guess the house was using a fair amount.

I've got just a few sticks in it now. I go away today. I'm going to try to get it close to max before I leave. Boy, is wood EVERYTHING! I've been picking over my stuff that was split in Jan. Getting out the dead stuff first. All the red oak that slipped thru will be headed back out to the stacks. I've got about 5 pallets that are 100% red oak.

Thanks to all on here for the advice along the way. I did put the expansion tanks on the floor. They work a lot better there. Hate to lose the floor space though.

JP

I'm enjoying burning. There's been a few cold nights the past few nights. I've learned I really have to insulate my piping.

I've had the storage up to 194 or so. I did a big batch burn two nights ago and let it go out. Last night... I had storage up to 180 or so, with a big fire still going. I checked it once about 330 when I woke up. It was at 183 and still going good. I guess the house was using a fair amount.

I've got just a few sticks in it now. I go away today. I'm going to try to get it close to max before I leave. Boy, is wood EVERYTHING! I've been picking over my stuff that was split in Jan. Getting out the dead stuff first. All the red oak that slipped thru will be headed back out to the stacks. I've got about 5 pallets that are 100% red oak.

Thanks to all on here for the advice along the way. I did put the expansion tanks on the floor. They work a lot better there. Hate to lose the floor space though.

JP
Not like your "first solo" but satisfying just the same!

JP

I have lots of red and black oak. Even when it's under 20% I have found that i get much better results if I mix in some soft wood with it.

gg

I plan on going to a friends hobby saw mill. He has piles of slabs. I was surprised at how dry some of that thin stuff was just a few months after we cut it. 15%

I will be mixing a bunch of that in this summer. All my other stuff was CSS starting in Jan.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.