HF 5 ton Electric review - 06/14 update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
About a month or so ago I decided that I wanted an electric splitter for the wood shed. Its primary purpose would be to resize splits and possibly make some kindling if so inclined (I don't use much kindling for startup, but sometimes I do to refresh a coals only reload).

hf splitter.jpg

This was purchased on the interweb during a sale and the use of a 20% off coupon. Less than $250 to my door.
First impression - solid little sucker. Very compact. Actually built better than I was expecting.

There were a couple of specific reasons that I wanted this version when compared to others. It has an on/off push button switch and a control lever. Period. You turn it on and run it just like a real hydro splitter. No safety switches, no two hand buttons, none of that. I am a person that keeps one hand on the wood. I have witnessed too many splits trying to get revenge by shooting out from its splitting position. I want control.

Operation - as said above - one push button on/off. One control lever. I have not measured full cycle time but it is slow (as expected). I did not intend for this to be a production machine so the slow action doesn't bother me at all.

It isn't quiet, but it isn't loud either. My dog just looks at it and cocks his head to the side.

It works - the darned little thing has split everything that I have asked of it. Yes, I probably have a few in the stack that I wouldn't even try but for general purpose it works. I have used it to resize large splits as well as bust some dimensional rough cut lumber into kindling.

The self retracting ram can be good and bad. It actually retracts fairly fast. I find that for kindling purposes I wont allow full retraction and manage that by "feathering" the control lever.

To sum it up...I like it. I don't have any thoughts of grandeur that this would take place of a full size hydro splitter, but for my purpose it does a dandy job. It appears to be as solid as any other electric and I have no reason to believe that it shouldn't provide a long and useful life.

I have no affiliation with HF or this splitter other than being an owner of one. I hope this provides useful to those that may be in the market for a little electric splitter.

I now feel confident that I can split up my splitting block and hang up my axe.

Last edited:
I wont allow full retraction and manage that by "feathering" the control lever.

Good review. I'm big on the electric splitters. Site user MrWhoopee taught me this quick and easy mod to reduce cycle time when working with shorter wood. I used a 3" length of PVC pipe split down one side and it snaps around the chrome pushrod. I was using a wood block but this way is far better

p1000984-jpg.102151

That is a nice mod. The full retraction is required for my resizing splits, its the kindling maker (where you are usually getting it to split very quickly) that I don't allow full retraction. Its usually only a couple of minutes worth of splitting, so it doesn't bother me much to just feather the lever.

You didn't build your own? Getting soft in your old age.

You didn't build your own? Getting soft in your old age.
For 230 bean pods I didn't figure I could build one for that. I don't have a pump on the shelf small enough so that alone would be a pretty good buck - the pumps they use are a bit unique. And "small" was important for this one. I don't really know how to build "small".:p

Please forgive my ignorance, but what does the HF stand for? What brand/type of electric splitter is this? I expect to be buying one sometime in the next year along with a little chainsaw (possibly the electric Poulon 14" or 16"). These tools would be for near the house . . . and electric outlet!

Yep. One thing I would suggest in shopping these little units it to look at the actual operation of the machine. Some are like I explained above and some have extra "safety" measures that require both hands to be in specific places for it to operate.

Jags, think this 5 ton would split 16-20" sweet gum rounds? Nibbling outside is fine with me. A local tree service will deliver them and I said NO!...but was thinking of only having 8 lb maul.

Jags, think this 5 ton would split 16-20" sweet gum rounds? Nibbling outside is fine with me. A local tree service will deliver them and I said NO!...but was thinking of only having 8 lb maul.

My four ton electric laughed at me last night when I wanted to re-split half of a six inch sweet gum round. That has been in the shed for four years.

Where a lil electric shines is when you are doing that all day or all night load and it is all in the stove and you have that OH CHIT moment when you need one or two smaller splits custom fit to the holes.

No stomping out in the snow or mud trying to swing a maul in the dark. I ain't ever living without one again.

Thanks, BB...you bringeth mucho clarity.

Liked the one I had until thermal beaker inside fried...but USED it several years. For the price , I got more use than I should have.Upgraded to Swisher 34 ton with 4 way.

Thanks BB for the info. I might have to just go over to HF and take a look. I completely forgot they existed. I don't like their battery operated stuff, but never had a problem with their other electric stuff.

I don't deal with sweet gum, so take BroB's post to heart.
These are not power monger machines. If your maul bounces off of a round, these little electrics probably won't be any more successful.

You are wise, Jags.

Only by dumb luck. I don't know of any sweet gum around my area. I just don't get the chance to cut any. American Elm is a whole 'nuther story.:eek:

Funny, not in a HAHA way, footnote. Ordered one a couple of days ago. It shipped from South Carolina. Supposed to arrive in Virginia tomorrow but appears to be hung up in Ohio.

"Shipment exception GROVE CITY, OH
Unable to deliver under this tracking number - Multiple shipping labels on shipment"

Another BB shipment adventure.

It is 388 miles from where it shipped from to my house. It has gone 566 miles to Ohio to get hung up 401 miles from my house. ;lol

Reactions: ArsenalDon
I love mine and so does my back :) Good unit for the money. Got mine for $229 out the door. Thanks for the mechanical stop idea

Mine has been sitting at Fedex in Ohio for a week. No response from HF or Fedex.

I will confirm that during the very cold weather we have had this winter that the little splitter can and will pop a 20 amp fuse on startup. Just a heads up to those keeping them in cold storage.

Mine originally had a delivery date of 2/28, then 3/3, now it says NA. This was my first order from HF and hoping I don't regret it!

Status
Not open for further replies.