HF splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkbar2311

Mar 16, 2010
SE Michigan
HI,

I’m new here and have done some poking around but still looking for some help. I’m in the market for a splitter and kinda like the HF one. I’m torn between the 20 ton unit with the log lift and 4 way wedge and the 30 ton unit. THe 30 ton is listed as a horizontal but the pdf manual says vertical or horizontal. Can anyone verify if it is able to be tilted vertically?

Thanks,
Jim

Welcome to the forum!

There are a bunch with those splitters on the board. Hopefully one will be by soon.

Matt

Hope so thanks.

Looking at the pics, it looks like the 30 ton is the same as the 24 ton which is HV. For what it is worth, and many here will disagree, I think you are better off with the horizontal unit. The frame is much simpler and the log lift will get anything you cant lift onto the beam. 4 way wedge will be a nice productivity boost with straight grained wood as well.

I appreciate the input. I like the 4way wedge on that as well..

The only reason I can see why someone would want a 4 way wedge is if doing wood commercially.

I once thought the 4-way wedge was a great idea until I realized that a good portion of my wood is knotty, forked and not nice and straight. For me the 4-way wedge wouldn't make a lot of sense . . . perhaps if I had nice, straight wood. . . .

I have a splitter with a 4 and 6 way wedge . I can honestly tell you I have split some real crap with it . Just last year I split 41 elm trees and never took off the 4 way . My splitter is only a 20 ton and I only recall one time getting it stuck useing a multi wedge on it . The 6 way wedge is a whole new ball game , But I would never buy a splitter even if you were only doing 3 cords a year that did not have a 4 way wedge . A 4 way wedge is 3 times as fast as a single wedge splitter .

Based on zooming in on the picture it appears as if the 4 way is removable...I'm calling HF today. Man am I torn...I've used a vertical splitter but I almost cant pass up the 4way and lift.

Jim

Honestly if the splitter is anything at all its a great deal . You will never be sorry about haveing a 4 way wedge and log lift . the only thing that If you get this I would look or make somekind of a table for delivery .

I vote for lift and hor. only. I have a 30t HF, 10 years old, I seldom use it vertical, trying to move those big cookies under the ram is more difficult than noodling them down to movable size. I have bent twisted and generally mangled the beam at this point. Do a search for HF splitters lot of info on them from past posts. Mine has a briggs on it , not sure what they are using now. The robins are decent engines also

Thanks guys. I truly appreciate the input. I am leaning toward the HF horizontal w/ lift. My knees always kill me from either kneeling or sitting on a milk crate when splitting vertically.

Just got to know did you pull the trigger on the splitter

blades said:
I have bent twisted and generally mangled the beam at this point.

Doesn't this trouble anyone else? The last thing I would want is a splitter with a weak beam.

This is a fairly big purchase for me so I'm hesitating more than I normally do on buying on. I'm giving thought to getting the 22 ton huskee from TSC now. I can go and get it and Know what I have. The HF model irritates me because I can't see it in person and then make my decision. Returning isn't a good option....I think I am over thinking this...

I have the HF 22ton, it's my third splitter and I like it, but at the time you could not get a 4 way head for it. I would like to use the 4 way head but from experience that puts a lot of strain on the splitter. I almost never use the vertical position, I just prefer to horiz split. The only problem I have had with it the bracket broke on the pump, bad weld, I re-welded it on. It does have plenty of power and good return speed. But many people have the Tractor Supply splitters and like them also.

it looks like the 4 way comes off too..I'd use the 4 way for chunking up small for my folks and grandma. I like my stuff chiunked up bigger...I'm getting close to pulling the trigger..

pulled the trigger, got the HF with 4 way. Right wrong or indifferent...Will report results.

Congrats, lets see that 4 way going through a big ole round.

We'll see how often that part gets used. At 20 tons I'm not sure if there is enough power there...the nice part is much of my wood is straight grained and not too huge..

10 days or so for delivery.

Clarkbar2311 said:
We'll see how often that part gets used. At 20 tons I'm not sure if there is enough power there...the nice part is much of my wood is straight grained and not too huge..
I run a 4way on my 22ton with no problems I even run a 6 way on there . If you have problems let me know I am sure it can be fixed . 2 issues with 4 ways is they need to be split staggered . First you hit the first split and crack the wood 1 way about an inch of wedge does the trick then hits the wings for your 4 way split at any one time you are only splitting one way . If you hit all 4 ways at once chances are you will have a few issues . The other thing is the wings need to split with a slight up angle so as not to pinch the bottom 2 splits between your wedge and the ibeam of the splitter .
using a 6 way wedge even gets to be trickier.

Webie

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly post when I get it and get it assembled. I do have access to a larger bore cylinder and higher gpm pump from when I was going to build a splitter. I want to see it run before playing with it too much.

It delivers monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.