HF splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarkbar2311 said:
It delivers monday.
got a woody yet ?
( To split )

I've got 2 black locus bucked and pile up to split. Fell last summer. I've got about 2 cords of red oak and maple chunked up ready as well...and more on the way.

I'm ready to administer the stress test.

I was hoping it would get here a day or two earlier but looks like Monday it is. So next weekend she'll get used..

well did it show up ?

IT did come. I'll get it together tomorrow. I can't stay and do it today. I had it delivered to work.

A few things I've learned thus far. 16 gpm pump, the 4 way comes off to reveal a nice normal wedge. Overall the unit is more heavily built than I expected. The proof will be in when it's operational. I've got hydraulic oil on order and plan to assemble the beast tomorrow or wednesday. I'll be using it Friday for sure and have pics and maybe some video.

Get a pic of the 4 way wedge I am interested in how it looks

Every time I see this post I keep thinking how much we need Goose Rider back here . . . you know he would be all over this thread making some very constructive comments about HF splitters and his experiences with them.

I'll get some pictures today.

I run a maint dept and my guys are helping me at lunch set the beam with the highlow. I ordered the hydraulic oil and will have that tomorrow. I'm taking my time and making sure everything is right. I'm disappointed though that I got the locin motor not the Robin.

Missing one locknut and motor isn't bolted down square. Other than that I'm preaty impressed thus far. Its more heavy duty than I anticipated.

Any chance you can post some pictures ?

today...tomorrow it gets used.

It's alive

yea!!!

pics tomorrow. I ran out time.

Works preaty good. I ran wet and dry wood through it and the wet stuff tends to stick on the four way but the dry stuff just flys by. I got pics of the unit on my phone. I ve got to download them to my computer.

having pic problems

Clarkbar2311 said:
Works preaty good. I ran wet and dry wood through it and the wet stuff tends to stick on the four way but the dry stuff just flys by. I got pics of the unit on my phone. I ve got to download them to my computer.

Get some hours on the wedge, It will probably get better as it gets polished . My 4 way is great now that a majority of the paint is off . Also I did a little grinding on it and have the wedge now slightly tipped down in the front .

I will report more on the 4 way as it gets used. I did a couple of dumb things yesterday. Forgot to pull the safety pin out of the lift before actuating it..elongated the hole a little..no biggie. Also the slide is shaving the beam some as it wears in..I've got a booger on it near the wedge that I'll have to grind off..overall though I'm preaty happy.

Clarkbar2311 said:
I will report more on the 4 way as it gets used. I did a couple of dumb things yesterday. Forgot to pull the safety pin out of the lift before actuating it..elongated the hole a little..no biggie. Also the slide is shaving the beam some as it wears in..I've got a booger on it near the wedge that I'll have to grind off..overall though I'm preaty happy.

I grease my slide and beam daily at the end of the day .

Clarkbar2311 said:
Also the slide is shaving the beam some as it wears in..I've got a booger on it near the wedge that I'll have to grind off...
My MTD did the same thing. Raised sharks before I noticed and ground it down.

good to know..

Status
Not open for further replies.