HI 300 latch lubricant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orenn89

Dec 14, 2014
Central Ct
I have just installed my used hampton HI300. I also replaced the door gasket before installing. Reading the manual and comments online i used washers as spacers till i got the door to pass the dollar bill test. The door latch is very "rough" when closing, it feels as though it is gauling hard on the surface. I looked at the insert at my local wood stove shop and they had a lubericant on the pin. Would the below lubercant be acceptable to use here? I asked the guy at the shop what they used and he didn't know, only that it came from the factory lubed up.
Permatex 80078
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80078-Anti-Seize-Lubricant-Bottle/dp/B000AAJTXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443369282&sr=8-1&keywords=graphite paste

Last edited by a moderator:
No experience with the Permatex. I use graphite on the hinges of my stove doors. There are many from which to choose. At either Lowe's or HD I bought a tube of it. It comes dry [and "puffs out when you squeeze the tube], or with an accelerant that evaporates off. Currently I am liking my can of spray graphite from AeroKroil. The spray types can make a mess, so use a piece of paper or whatever to block off overspray. I usually only have to use it once a year. The Permatex may work just fine. A mechanic I know uses it as anti-seize when installing spark plugs.

+1 a graphite lubricant is what you want. Several different styles and application methods but they all accomplish the same thing. The spray is probably the easiest imo

I emailed a lubricants manufacturer asking about an ultra high temp grease they sold but they recommended boron nitride spray for the stove latch. It is more commonly used as a casting mold release. It is a dry film like the spray graphite but I guess rated at higher temps. I also found a caliper grease at the auto parts store that is rated at 3000 F. I got the grease before I found out about the spray. I think graphite is good enough too and was looking for that when I found the break grease. There are other very hi temp greases out there but they are very expensive...

Status
Not open for further replies.