HI 300 owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
Helped a buddy installed his newly purchased HI300 last Saturday. Very easy, straightforward install. 16 ft. liner.

He is brand new to wood burning. I told him get comfortable with it. Learn the damper, and get a thermometer.

Are there any quirks to the insert I could relay to him?

Where is best place for the thermometer on the insert? Door?

He bought a cord of wood to get started. $250!!!!!!! I told him to cut the 4 downed trees lying in the woods behind his house. Spoke to him today and he said he has caught the wood chasing fever, especially after the storm. Sent him for some locust I found too.

Now, how to get him on hearth?

He's probably going to have a tough time with the wood this year. Especially that bought cord. No one in the Southeast PA area delivers dry wood at this time of year.

He's probably going to have a tough time with the wood this year. Especially that bought cord. No one in the Southeast PA area delivers dry wood at this time of year.
Agreed...I have the same stove and bought "seasoned" wood last year to find it didn't burn worth a $#!*!!.

I have the same insert. This is the most beautiful stove in the world, and very well built. I like how the door has a two-step latching effect so you can close the door off in steps when first lighting.

Where to put the thermometer? The only option you have is somewhere on the door, but even that is a bit tough. Best thing I could recommend would be an infrared thermometer, hold it close to the top of the door and get a reading that way.

As others have said, the biggest issue will be the moisture content in his wood. I'll never forget when I first bought my Napoleon 1401. I complained to the store that it wasn't producing any heat. He smiled and talked about moisture content. I didn't believe that this would have such a profound effect on the heat output. I eventually learned to get my wood prepared a year in advance.

As others have said, that is one gorgeous insert! As far as wood: pallets, pallets and more pallets, cut up and mixed in with that "seasoned wood "

Status
Not open for further replies.