Hi all, new here.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amateur cutter

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
West Michigan
Hi everyone, new here, & wasn't smart enough to figure out how to preview my sig & avatar, so figured I'd post, & see what happens. Looking forward to learning, & being a member. A C

Welcome and hope you enjoy the forum and learn something, I know I have.

Welcome! Are you on arboist.com as well your think I have seen that name?

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome, yea S J that's where you've seen me is at A S, that's how I found this site. I heat my shop & home with wood, & just plain like cutting, splitting, & burning. I grew up in the woods & I guess the outdoors just got into my blood. Looking forward to gettin to know you guys. If you look closely at my avatar you'll see that it's the helmet from A S that's gettin passed around for charity. It's sittin on top of my 064.
Do any of you guys from MI cut on state land? I pulled a permit for the Yankee Springs game area this year. That's been nice. It put me well over the top on firewood for the season, & into next year. I'm planning on cutting more this weekend, weather permitting, & will report back on the results. Have a great evening! A C

Used to do a lot of mountain biking at Yankee Springs (don't live in W. MI anymore...)
Just curious, what sort of cutting does the permit allow?

I wish they would issue permits on game lands around here!! I called and was very polite. The lady on the other end damn near bit my head off through the phone.

NO,NO,NO....YOU CAN ABSOLUTLEY NOT CUT ANYTHING.........................IF ANYONE SEE'S YOU CUTTING...................at this point I said sorry for bothering you and hung up.

I think on monday I will try again :cheese:

Welcome AC
Great site & good folks.

My Best tip. well seasoned wood burns a long time with great heat output.

amateur cutter said:
Do any of you guys from MI cut on state land? I pulled a permit for the Yankee Springs game area this year. That's been nice. It put me well over the top on firewood for the season, & into next year.

Welcome, from another Michigander. I have thought about applying for a permit, but I just never pulled the trigger.

Welcome! You will love the site.

welcome , i hope you can enjoy this site as much as i do. pete

ggans said:
Keep going man...

The permits are available by the quarter & quite limited. I called & got on the list, & got a permit for area 1 which is where I live. $ 20.00 & limited to 5 cord. You must cut within 50' of a roadway or parking area only. Downed trees only. The funny thing was, the first ? the C O asked me was, are you comfortable felling a large tree? I told him sure as long as it was not near buildings or power lines. He directed me to a 26" dbh black oak in the middle of a grassland field that was dying from an accidental herbicide over spray. That tree will make some nice firewood for 2011-12, I haven't gotten to it yet because of the heat, but hey I've till Sept. 30 Hope this helps somebody. There is some info available at the MI . gov website. A C

Welcome to the forum amateur. It sounds like you will fit in really well here.

It has been many years since I cut on state lands and that was before they required any dollars. You just went to a DNR office and asked for a permit. I'm thinking back then you could get 10 cord but really there was no limit at the time....but it had to be down. No cutting of standing trees even if dead. However, like you, one day I walked in for a permit in a different area and got to talking. When the fellow found out where I lived he asked if I'd cut some standing trees that was only 1/2 mile from our house! Well, twist my arm and I might. lol It was all maple and easy to get at. Now I just cut at home and have more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.