Hi all! New user here.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2373

Nov 9, 2011
Williamson, New York
Hello everybody! This is a fantastic forum you've got here! I've been viewing this forum several months now while in the process of selecting a new wood stove. We decided on the Jotul F 50 TL Rangeley. I am brand new to wood burning in a stove, so I've got a lot to learn from this forum. My wife and I purchased a new house here in Upstate NY. It's always been a dream of ours to own a home in the country with a wood burning stove, so now it's become a reality! I look forward to sharing and learning with everyone on this forum! Here are a couple pics of my setup.

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 524
  • Chimney.jpg
    Chimney.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 591
How well has the stove been drafting for you?

Welcome Scott, that should keep you warm. Have to ask about that horizontal run. Looks like single-wall, is it? If so that long horiz. is going to get very hot. How close to the ceiling is it?

So far it seems to be drafting so-so, although the temps here have been rather high, so hopefully it will do better when it gets colder outside and there is a greater temp differential between in and out. The hottest fire we've managed so far is about 400 deg, but then again, the wood we're using is slab and not quite as dry as it could be. Right now the wind is blowing pretty good outside and I can here it in the stove, so I'm guessing the draft is good enough. I'd love to measure it, but I'm not spending over $100 on a draft gauge.

Everything is double wall. We followed Jotul's clearances guidelines according to the manual. The minimum clearance to an unprotected wall is only 5" from the back of the stove with the heat shield in place. We have it at 6.

It will draft better with 2-45's and a diagonal run of pipe rather than the 90 with the hard turn.
Welcome

+1, that was my thought too. But good to know that you've done it with double-wall connector. I was misled by the thermometer. It looked like it might be a surface unit, not a probe.

I knew you fellas would be onto those elbows.lol Welcome to the forum.Just bought our Rangeley this year.Like it real well.Keep me informed on your burns.Wish they had some flat sides on that rolling door handle. :zip:

Congratulations Scott. That's fantastic to hear your dreams are coming true. May the house and the new stove be a blessing to your family for years to come.

Thanks everybody for the welcomes and insight. I felt the same way about the 45's, but the installer said that a diagonal run looks like crap, not to mention that draft wouldn't be affected since 45+45=90 anyway. I wasn't too sure about his logic, but I am new to this and they've been installing chimney for many years. I had to take his word for it.

I agree, diagonal pipes look bad. If it works, don't fix it! Of course, ideally the chimney goes through the center of the house and has no elbows, but for your situation it looks good. More elbows makes cleaning a pain.

welcome from another upstate NY member!

Less angle = less resistance = better draft.
Yes 45 + 45 = 90, but we aren't talking numbers here, we are talking air flow. The harder the angle, the more resistance.
And cleaning with a 90 is no easier than cleaning with 2-45's. You still going to have to take the pipe off from the thimble to the stove either way.
Anyhow, if your drafting ok, then no big deal.
Are you sure you have enough Clearance to combustibles from that horizontal run of pipe to the ceiling? May be the picture, but looks close.

Hey welcome to the forum, I have some what the setup you have on one of my stoves and it drafts great with no issues, wish you the best with the new place and wood burning it's addicting.

Scott2373 said:
Hello everybody! This is a fantastic forum you've got here! I've been viewing this forum several months now while in the process of selecting a new wood stove. We decided on the Jotul F 50 TL Rangeley. I am brand new to wood burning in a stove, so I've got a lot to learn from this forum. My wife and I purchased a new house here in Upstate NY. It's always been a dream of ours to own a home in the country with a wood burning stove, so now it's become a reality! I look forward to sharing and learning with everyone on this forum! Here are a couple pics of my setup.
Did the Williamson Hardware do the install?

Actually, no. Jim pushed and pushed for Harley, but I just got a bad vibe from the guy. I almost fell over when I received his quote for the chimney and stove install. After I explained that we did not need a "wall of stone", his quote came down about $900, then after explaining that I asked around, he came down another $1500...this left me extremely weary of doing business with Harley. I honestly got the feeling that he was attempting to take advantage of my lack of knowledge on the subject of chimneys. My mistake was telling him that I had never owned a stove before and didn't know the first thing about them. Not to mention, he was going to use Metalbestos, which I wasn't completely comfortable with. I ended up calling Fireplace Fashions in Greece, on advice from a friend who used them, and their quote came back $1000 less than Harley's, plus they use Simpson Duravent. My choice was pretty obvious. Those guys were great! They were professional, laid down drop-cloths everywhere, cleaned up after themselves and were very efficient. I like the fact that they are company employees and not contractors. Chimneys and fireplaces are what they do. They aren't just a "jack-of-all-trades" contractor/handy-man who occasionally does fireplace related stuff. They're insured and properly licensed. I would recommend them to anyone!

Welcome to the forum Scott.

One more thought on that horizontal run. Looking at the pictures it appears the horizontal does not have any rise to it and actually looks the opposite. A horizontal run needs a minimum of 1/4" rise per foot of pipe. We've found 1/2" rise is even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.