Hi everybody *waves*

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runs With Scissors

Jan 3, 2006
Hi everyone.

Been lurking around here for the past couple weeks, and finally decided to jump in and say HI.

Looks like you guys have a nice forum going here and would be glad to offer some advise to, and exchange ideas with someone who is not new to wood heating, just new to these newer high efficency stoves.

My wife and I recently had a quadrafire 5100I installed and are loving it, however neither of us realized how entertaining wood heating could be. The poor TV hardly gets any attention anymore. ;-)

Well thats my first post, nice to be chatting with you all .

Eric

Runs With Scissors said:
Hi everyone.

Been lurking around here for the past couple weeks, and finally decided to jump in and say HI.

Looks like you guys have a nice forum going here and would be glad to offer some advise to, and exchange ideas with someone who is not new to wood heating, just new to these newer high efficency stoves.

My wife and I recently had a quadrafire 5100I installed and are loving it, however neither of us realized how entertaining wood heating could be. The poor TV hardly gets any attention anymore. ;-)

Well thats my first post, nice to be chatting with you all .

Eric

Welcome,
Good first post.

Welcome - I am envious! I did a bunch of research several years ago and finally got my heart set on the 5100i. Alas nearly $3,000 for a fully installed, stainless lined and capped setup was a bit too much for my frugal heart to take. So, I went a little cheaper and found a $400 used insert in the local paper. A little less glamorous, but still has a nice arched viewing window that I was after.

I look forward to hearing your experiences and opinions on the 5100...especially that beautiful bay window.

Again, welcome!

Corey

I seem to be having trouble getting my replies out. So if this showed up twice sorry! I to was looking at the 5100 but thought it might be too much gun for my house. How is working out for you? How big is the area you are trying to heat? Do you have any pictures you can post ? I think we all enjoy seeing the finished product of someones hard work. Thanks

Thanks for the welcome folks.

Cozy heat,

It was kinda pricey due mostly to the fact that we dont have many dealers/installers in our area but so far we are happy price-value wise and the cost seemes to be inline with other brands that Im reading about. The bay windows were a selling point as we have a large unfinished basement with 180+ degrees of view available. (pics to come if possible)

You seem to have done well with your purchase though if that is it in your avitar.

Wing, I read you loud and clear!

I can imagine that this unit could be too much for some installation's, but we are trying to heat a large basement/playroom/bar area that we will be finishing over the next couple of years, plus suppliment our oil heat for the upstairs(1850 sqft ranch) for a total of approx 3400-3500 sqft.

So far so good considering the obstacles inherent to our situation,ie uninsulated concrete floor/walls. The living room/kitchen heat hardly comes on (about +2deg in living room over thermostat setting) and the bedrooms are coming on approximately 1/3-1/2 as often as last year, not bad for the initial setup I think.

Willhound,

They only give me the safety scissors too, but I just sharpen them on the concrete walls of my cell when their not looking. :coolsmirk:

As far as pics go Im limited to using the computers in our training center at work as we only moved into our house (major fixer upper) a year ago and we figured with all the work ahead we didnt need internet yet, soon but not yet.

Speaking of work Im done my shift and should go home now before the missus misses me, besides they installed infrared light switches so no-one would leave the lights on and now the lights go off once a minute if you dont move around enough.

Kinda hard typing while waving your arms over your head like an orangutan.

Good nite all, Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.