Hi Everyone!! Trying to tweak my install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CtPaul

Burning Hunk
Sep 16, 2011
CT
Hi Everyone,
I have visted the site on and off for years so I figured I should take the time to register. I am back recently to search on maximizing my Harman Accentra insert output.

My Setup: Accentra insert in an old fieldstone (exterior) chimney. My chimney had no damper plate butdid have ceramic tile. I didn't trust it so I had a full liner installed when first stove was installed (glo king 10yrs ago)
The liner has no insulation and there is no lower block off plate. They didn't install one because fieldstone is too irregular and you don't need with full liner...i.e they were too lazy because its not a perfect rectangle.
My house is old and drafty, even though I tighten it up more and more (new windows,spray foam,etc). I think I'm losing alot of heat up the chimney.

Things I am considering:

- Building a lower block off plate and putting insulation on top of it.
- Replacing the top plate with a seal tight cap (just a pc of sheetmatal now with caulk)
- putting a full chase cover on the top of the chimney
- if i'm doing all that should I pull the liner and insulate it?? Worth it?

All or most of the work will be done by me.

Thanks for all the info posted here!!
Hopefully I can contribute

Paul

Why would you need to insulate the exhaust? What happens after the block off plate shouldn't be a concern. Pack insulation around the pipe where you can get to it and support it with cut off wire coat hangers or strips of sheet metal wedged in the stone?????? Make a cardboard template and get it as close as you can then cut it in sheet metal?????? You willlll lose heat with nothing up there. It would stop the air flow and would be better then nothing. It doesn't need to be pretty. Just trying to get the wheels turning.

Back when the liner was first installed no one was insulating the exhaust....now alot of people are. I just started looking into it because I'm going to be on the roof replacing the top cap and plate.

The cardboard template seems to be the best way to make the lower block off plate. Not sure what I will use to insulate. I read people have used many things (unfaced fiberglass, kaowool,rock wool,etc)

I also just started reading about "wind caps" because I'm on a lake and we get some pretty good winds. Windy days help my wife point out all the drafts in this house :) I then try to seal them...lol

Ok everyone I am back on track to tweak my install. I got a little side tracked with the october storm,kids birthdays and the holidays!!
Then we got some pretty cold temps so I didn't want to shut down the stove and pull it out.

I talked to a tin knocker and he is going to make me a plate from my cardboard template. I think I am going to have it made in 2 pieces so I can get it in easier. Then I will caulk the overlap. I am going to run a pipe thru for an Oak setup (3inch I think) and get a chimney cap that will let fresh air in. Anyone know a website for the cap? I wondered if I could use a short length of double walled at the end of my chimney liner (something like duravent). I'm not sure how the flex liner would fasten to it. It also creates a possible area for failure?

What kind of insulation have you guys used above block off plate?

Thanks Again
I have gotten so much info off this site

Daves I am hoping to have the same "problem" you have after I'm finished....wife saying it is too hot :)

Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.