Hi guys....new to pellet heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bad0351

Jun 17, 2011
SW New Hampshire
Just dropped in to say "hi".....I am new to this pellet thing, in fact just purchased a stove after doing some research and hope to stay a little warmer this winter!
What finaly pushed me over the edge was another oil delivery the other day...to the tune of 500.00 bucks!
I explained to my wife we spent 4000.00 dollars last winter to heat and at the end all I had was an empty oil barrel....at least now I spend the money up front and at the end of winter I still have my stove....
well, hope to learn a lot from you all and am looking forward to talking with you.

Dale

Welcome to the club!

After the initial investment of the stove is paid for, you'll likely see a bill of about 1000 a year for pellet fuel (~4 tons or so, give or take price and how hot you want it, vs house size, etc). If you're spending 4k last year, that will likely be 5k this year with the price rise, which means you'll break even within a year or so :)

It's hard to beat it.

Welcome to the Forum. This a Great place full of Great people and Great info..I too was at $4,000 avg a year for LP (Propane) also. I now spend about $1,000 like briansol stated. I just got a wood stove so I hope to lower that number even further this coming winter.

What type of stove did you get. There is a Feature called "Your Control Panel" at the top of the screen. You can put your stove make and model and what type of pellets you have, vent type, any certain quotes you like, etc.

Welcome aboard, think I'm finally done for the season, last fire was last Tuesday. Whatta ya got for a stove??

Hello again....Forgot to list the stove!!
I bought a Harmon P61-A.....and will pick it up next monday.
after doing some reading and talking with a few dealers I decided this would be a good fit for me.
I heated my home for over 20 years with wood alone and finaly felt the urge to "not cut and split 8 cords of oak evry summer"....man that was getting old...along with me!
Put in an oil fired boiler about 5 years ago and was in heaven for a while....but now with these prices I just cant afford it anymore.
We decided to go the pellet road by talking with some friends about how they felt...they also own pellet heaters....plus, I really miss the warmth and eye appeal of a fire in the house.

Thanks for the welcomes!!

Dale

I'll add my welcome, too. Ran the stove a bit last week to take the chill off.

It will require some maintenance and cleaning but in the end it is well worth it. I am all electric with reasonable rates compared to many and love the comfort level and savings. The cleaner they are the more efficient they will run which takes some effort. I do like the fact that most harmans can run for an extended period without having to dump ashes.

Preventative maintenance is the key. You are a lot less likely to have component failures if you follow the recommended cleaning and maintenance schedule. The P-61A is a workhorse. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new stove.

"I bought a Harmon P61-A…..and will pick it up next monday"

OMG, you just did, like the MOST sacriligious thing in the world, some one here will castigate you severely for calling a Harm"A"n a Harm"O"n.

hossthehermit said:

OMG, you just did, like the MOST sacriligious thing in the world, some one here will castigate you severely for calling a Harm"A"n a Harm"O"n.

I'll take my whoopin out behind the old woodshed......sorry guys!!!

;~)

Welcome to the Forum Dale. Lot's of very smart pellet burners here, and we're looking forward to seeing the pics of the new Harman installed....we LOVE pics of new stoves.

As we say here, "no pics means it really didn't happen!" :lol:

Welcome!
As stated above many knowledgeable and friendly folks here!
You will love your P61. Keep it clean!
Had to empty the ash pan around 4-5 times for the whole Winter!
With current prices for next Winter, we are looking at a $1160 savings.
We cut our oil usage by 54% and are warmer. 425 gal/yr vs 925!
Again welcome and enjoy your new stove!

Welcome.
I'm curious why you didn't go with a pellet boiler like the Harman PB105.

exoilburner said:
Welcome.

To be honest with you....I never considered a pellet boiler because the oil fired one I have is bearly 5 yrs old and will use that as a back up heat source only...and we miss a stove in the house too....

Hoping I made the right call...

Dale

bad0351 said:
exoilburner said:
Welcome.

To be honest with you....I never considered a pellet boiler because the oil fired one I have is bearly 5 yrs old and will use that as a back up heat source only...and we miss a stove in the house too....

Hoping I made the right call...

Dale

Makes sense to me. Good call.
I did the same. Kept my old oil furnace for a back-up.

You will be pleased with your investment. A surge protector, installing OAK ,and a CO2 detector are valuable investment you may want to add. You said you burned wood for several years so you know how to handle ashes.
I went the same route, not the same stove or $, and am very happy with my investment. My largest problem is storage. I keep mine in the garage and move it to an enclosed porch on good days. At least I always intend to keep ahead. Failed to keep up with my back up stash and went out late one night. I fell, hitting my head and saw more stars than what was in the sky.
I think there will be more options available to us soon. Seems like multifuel stoves are going to be preferred. There is some talk about some char type pellets that don't have moisture issues.
Welcome to the group. Visit often, you will get a sense about who and what is good advise. Poke around the "search" box. you might want to look up cleaning with a leaf bower/vac. You may even want to become a member of the Pellet Pig group!

hossthehermit said:

I was just out looking for a switch...but I'm feeling kind. :lol:

Welcome from a fellow New Englander. I have a P61A as well after having another Harman for 14 years prior. After those 14 years you think you know a few things about pellets and stoves. I'm here to tell you that since joining here a little over 6 months ago I am very humbled by the wealth of knowledge assembled here. We have a good time, throw a few jabs, but most of all, we are willing to help. It's a bit quiet this time of year, but come Fall, you'll need to bolt your keyboard down! Enjoy.

save$ said:
You will be pleased with your investment. A surge protector, installing OAK ,and a CO2 detector are valuable investment you may want to add. You said you burned wood for several years so you know how to handle ashes.
I went the same route, not the same stove or $, and am very happy with my investment. My largest problem is storage. I keep mine in the garage and move it to an enclosed porch on good days. At least I always intend to keep ahead. Failed to keep up with my back up stash and went out late one night. I fell, hitting my head and saw more stars than what was in the sky.
I think there will be more options available to us soon. Seems like multifuel stoves are going to be preferred. There is some talk about some char type pellets that don't have moisture issues.
Welcome to the group. Visit often, you will get a sense about who and what is good advise. Poke around the "search" box. you might want to look up cleaning with a leaf bower/vac. You may even want to become a member of the Pellet Pig group!

Thankyou for all the valuable info!!
I have one question though....OAK??

Thanks

Dale

smwilliamson said:
hossthehermit said:

I was just out looking for a switch...but I'm feeling kind. :lol:

Thanks for the mercy!!!
I just took a whoopin from the wife and didnt need another!!! ;-)

OAK = Outside Air kit..
if you have the option to do so, and the gumption, then do it, there's no down side to OAK IMO. ya, I said gumption...its a real word you know...like smidgeon.

Thanks again everyone!....I've already learned a few tid-bits!!!

And ya.....I think I got the "gumption".....:)

great stove! you will love it!

Welcome! You'll love this website. One question, and it's for everyone in this thread. Why the P61 and not the P68? Is one more reliable than the other? Besides the P68 being a little bigger, is there any difference beyond the size?

Chain said:
Welcome! You'll love this website. One question, and it's for everyone in this thread. Why the P61 and not the P68? Is one more reliable than the other? Besides the P68 being a little bigger, is there any difference beyond the size?
Hi! and yes....I already love this site!
When speaking with the dealer, I asked the same question and told me the p-68 was just extreme overkill for my situation and explained that the p-61 would be more than enough for me?
My entire house is just 1876 sq. ft.
Hope that answers the question....

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.