Hi/Lo Santa fe Mod?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reallyte

Feeling the Heat
Mar 20, 2013
Binghamton, ny
So my warranty ran out in March. Since then I've been thinking of what kind of mods would better my unit. The one thing my quad does not have that I would benefit from is Hi/Lo operation. By this I mean when the thermostat calls for heat it uses the selected burn rate per the switch on the back but during no call for heat go into low burn (maintenance burn) to avoid the sharp up down in temp during deep winter. I searched and could only find the convection fan mod. Any ideas if this would be possible? And no I don't have the capital to just trade up to a harman P43...

Last edited:
Try a PM to kappel15. He knows the Santa Fe very well. Have not seen him around since last spring. I was led through a Santa Fe with success.

hmmm. That would be cool I'll think about how to do that!
With some logic gates I can visualize it just a matter of translating it to simple electronics. I'll have to upload my sketch.

With some logic gates I can visualize it just a matter of translating it to simple electronics. I'll have to upload my sketch.
What you need is a momentary switch to activate a relay to switch between pole 1 and 3 of the 3 speed controller switch. Say the unit always starts off on high when demand is met the tstat contacts open, the Tstat circuit routes through a relay to send the power to low. When the Tstat closes again power hits a momentary switch to kick the relay the other way until demand is met again.

What you need is a momentary switch to activate a relay to switch between pole 1 and 3 of the 3 speed controller switch. Say the unit always starts off on high when demand is met the tstat contacts open, the Tstat circuit routes through a relay to send the power to low. When the Tstat closes again power hits a momentary switch to kick the relay the other way until demand is met again.
Been busy lately but finally took a good look at the wire diagram. There seems to be some oddity with the wiring. By the looks of it (untested), low seems to be the default setting with pole 3/1 (in the picture) may be setting med/high. Here aremy thoughts on a simple mod. I need to take some volt readings still to confirm my hypothesis in the drawing.

pEjevmy

Attachments

• Santa Fe Wire Diagram for Hi-Lo v1.PNG
    Santa Fe Wire Diagram for Hi-Lo v1.PNG
    37.7 KB · Views: 3,692
Been busy lately but finally took a good look at the wire diagram. There seems to be some oddity with the wiring. By the looks of it (untested), low seems to be the default setting with pole 3/1 (in the picture) may be setting med/high. Here aremy thoughts on a simple mod. I need to take some volt readings still to confirm my hypothesis in the drawing.

pEjevmy
That looks like it will work well!

Hello
Yes, you can use a 120 volt T-Stat or throw in 120 vac relay and use a millivolt T-Stat with a swing setting that would work even better. :)

By the looks of it (untested), low seems to be the default setting with pole 3/1 (in the picture) may be setting med/high

Actually, I think that med is the default. If you look at the schematic, low and high send a signal to two different inputs to tell the controller it is not on medium.

I tried messing with mine several years ago with a three stage thermostat. I had the differentials set for low/med/high. Say you wanted the room to be 73*, it would run on low from 72 to 73, med from 71 to 72 and high 70 and below. I think problem that I was having is the length of the t-stat wires that I was using was too long for the voltages on the low/med/high switch. I am thinking that the voltage on the switch is DC that runs the control board. I was using ice cube type relays to energize each different stage.

Never did get it to work, haven't had the time to mess around with it lately. I was thinking about getting a small plc and using the outputs on that to control the different stages. I was thinking that using AC controlled relays may cause an issue if the relay contacts "chatter" and the DC signal would then be useless. Then the thermostat that I was using, decided to take a permanent vacation, so unless I want to spend several hundred dollars to experiment again, this project is on hold.

Actually, I think that med is the default. If you look at the schematic, low and high send a signal to two different inputs to tell the controller it is not on medium.

I tried messing with mine several years ago with a three stage thermostat. I had the differentials set for low/med/high. Say you wanted the room to be 73*, it would run on low from 72 to 73, med from 71 to 72 and high 70 and below. I think problem that I was having is the length of the t-stat wires that I was using was too long for the voltages on the low/med/high switch. I am thinking that the voltage on the switch is DC that runs the control board. I was using ice cube type relays to energize each different stage.

Never did get it to work, haven't had the time to mess around with it lately. I was thinking about getting a small plc and using the outputs on that to control the different stages. I was thinking that using AC controlled relays may cause an issue if the relay contacts "chatter" and the DC signal would then be useless. Then the thermostat that I was using, decided to take a permanent vacation, so unless I want to spend several hundred dollars to experiment again, this project is on hold.

Thank you for the history. It sounds like it is a bit more complicated due to your points. When I get some free time I'll take some readings and report back. I wouldn't want anything as complicated as you described but a simple hi/lo operation would be nice deep winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.