Hi Newbie here with Questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willc

Dec 7, 2012
Hi My name is Will and this is not my first wood stove. I have a small house 917sf with the stove in the middle on a huge hearth made of granite and rock and stone. I have two 90 degree turns in my six inch single wall flue that is in a precast liner.
My question is I now have a blazeking KTJ 303 from the late 70's . I think it is over sized for the house. If it get to operating temp ( I have not put a thermometer on it yet) with the thermostat on one it heats up to about 86 in the house ( two digital Tstat readings for the back up heat ). I am looking at replacing it if it is too large.
I am looking at a jotul cb3 to replace it with to slow the wood consumption as it take a lot of wood to get the Blaze king up and running.

So what am I to do here? Do I need more pratice with the blazeking or is it too large? I am burning oak if that helps . Or should I get the Jotul or any other smaller stove .
Thanks in advance

Will Kitchen.jpg

Welcome Will. You are totally right. This stove is seriously oversized for your house unless you like living in a sauna. But going to the Jotul F3CB is the opposite extreme and may not be satisfying because it's a small firebox and therefore a short burn time. Expect to reload every 3-4 hrs. For a longer burn, take a look at the Woodstock Keystone. I think that is the Goldilocks size that will be just about right. There are several other stoves that would also work if you don't like the looks or don't want a catalytic stove. Some of these would be the Hearthstone Shelburne, Hampton H300, Pacific Energy Alderlea T5, Quadrafire Cumberland Gap, or Napoleon 1400C.

Good post begreen, I agree the stove is way too big.
I'll add: the Blaze king Sirroco, great stove for 1000sqft, up to 20hr burns on low

I've sold a few now, and they work as advertised

Paint that BK up and I don't think you will have much trouble selling it......!

Status
Not open for further replies.