Hi temp silicone in freezing weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
Decided I better sweep the chimney today since the fire was out, the main furnace is dead, and I haven't done my mid-season sweep. I got up to the roof and the chimney cap was pretty well welded to the top plate. Not sure what is going on there, but I gave everything a good yank and the top plate came right off the crown. Crap. So, the only thing I really had to seal it back down was some hi temp silicone that says it withstands temps of -75 to 500. The temp is around 10 degrees right now. Is this stuff going to seal up or am I going to be making another trip up there this weekend when the temps are warmer?

ikessky said:
Decided I better sweep the chimney today since the fire was out, the main furnace is dead, and I haven't done my mid-season sweep. I got up to the roof and the chimney cap was pretty well welded to the top plate. Not sure what is going on there, but I gave everything a good yank and the top plate came right off the crown. Crap. So, the only thing I really had to seal it back down was some hi temp silicone that says it withstands temps of -75 to 500. The temp is around 10 degrees right now. Is this stuff going to seal up or am I going to be making another trip up there this weekend when the temps are warmer?
As long as the surface you applied the silicone to was clean & dry, you will be fine.

Dry, yes. Clean..... mostly I guess. As long as it holds until spring/summer. I'll tapcon it to the crown when the weather gets nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.