HI300: First Glowing Top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
So I thought I'd run the insert on high for a little while to clear up the haze on the glass. Now, I really didn't run it long (the fan didn't event start), but I looked in there and it was glowing. Doesn't take too much to get it to glow. Pushed damper in and put fan on high. Didn't take long to calm down.

It takes longer for the stove body, where the fan snap switch is located, to come up to temp than it does the top plate.

Was the top plate glowing (part of the outside of the stove) or something inside the stove? If it was inside the stove, that is par for the course.

Is it white haze you were trying to clear off the glass? If so, I've never had luck w/ heat taking that off, damp paper towel does the trick. If it is a dark haze (some soot) then heat will clear that up.

pen

Alas, it was the outside. There was some soot as well, but the heat did help remove some of that. Thing is, this insert has only one control rod unlike my other one that had a separate one for startup air, so, just have to be more careful I guess. Also, the heated air outlets are higher on this one so it's easy to look in there and see the top, which I never did with the last one.

If the blower wasn't turned up that's also another thing to consider doing for the next time.

I highly doubt you caused any trouble or damage. I have to imagine w/ so many inserts that have limited access to seeing the top of the unit, that a good many glow quite often w/out anyone being the wiser and have yet to fall apart.

pen

This has happened to me more than once. I think it's a sign of a real strong draft on take off. If you don't watch it, it can get real hot with the flames wrapping around the baffle going up your stack. You did the right thing by setting the blower on high and shutting down the air. Just make sure you stay around after you load because you don't want to melt that stove top ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.