HI300 gets a new breath of life

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jophysx

Burning Hunk
Apr 12, 2011
SW Michigan
I'm in my fourth year with a Hampton HI300. Last season, and especially this season, the insert's been getting a little difficult to keep under control. If it's cold out I have to be very careful not to stuff it too full, or reload too hot or the temperature tends to take off to levels that are too high i.e. firebox faintly glowing. Fortunately I am aware of the issue and I've been keeping a close eye on her.

I figured I must be getting too much air into the firebox. I checked the gasket seal with the dollar bill test. It was snug almost all the way around, but not so snug as to tear the bill. I could slide it around a little. So last night I figured I'd try adjusting the door a little to get a better seal. The latch comes mounted to the frame of the unit with four spacer washers. I took one of them out (on the top and bottom bolts). I had to readjust the vertical positioning a little, but when I was done, latching the door had much more of a "positive" feel. I could really feel the detent engaging.

Night and day difference in how the fire burns. Now if I shut down the air completely, the fires dies down in short order. Before it would rage along at 700F+ (IR on the glass) for a long time. I'm guessing I'll get another season or two out of this gasket then I'll probably have to replace it. And now I know exactly how a leaky gasket behaves on my system.

-Jim

Nice going. It's great when the solution is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.