1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. 18PiecesofFlair

18PiecesofFlair New Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    We've had the HI300 for a couple weeks. Got the oversized surround installed Friday and everything looks great. Ran it all day Saturday without incident. On Sunday, the wife came home and wanted to start a fire. She was struggling to open the door (the latch is very tight) and snapped the handle right off! Looks like the bolt that attaches the handle broke, and half of the bolt is still inside the latch. :( Is this a common problem with these units?

The dealer was very responsive and is coming out today to repair it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Fsappo

Fsappo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    Glad to see you have a good dealer. Let us know how the repair goes. I've sold a few HI300s and havent had to replace a handle yet.
  3. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    Generally you can look at the break area and tell wether it was cracked prior to the failure or if was a clean break all at once.
  4. stejus

stejus Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    Hmmm, sorry about that handle. Mine is going on 4 years now and no signs of breaking. I do know you are suppose to take out washers after the first few burns and I wonder if this was the result of the hardness to open and close. The handles are replaceable so it should not be too much of a hassle. Read that manual about taking out the washers to adjust the door latch.
  5. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    I guess nobody messes with your wife. :)
  6. 18PiecesofFlair

18PiecesofFlair New Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    Well the dealer came out yesterday afternoon and replaced the whole handle assembly. He said he thought the door was a little tight when they originally installed it, but they were hoping the latch would loosen a little as the gasket got compressed. The new handle opens much easier than the original. I'm happy they were so responsive. Guess I'll have to wait til Fall to get it running again. 70+ degrees today!

I did see that section in the manual about the washers. I'll have to look into that more closely once we get this thing broken in.

And you're correct... no one messes with the wife! Maybe I should give her the chainsaw and splitting axe!
  7. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    On the other hand, if it's still stinky when fired up, the windows can be opened without getting too chilled.
  8. NewZero

NewZero New Member

Wow. Just had the same thing happen to me this week :( Had an enamel Hi300 with oversized surround with blower put in a couple of weeks ago. We got about 5 fires out of it before the handle broke off in my wife's hand.

I wasn't home when it was installed, but the installer told my wife it would "loosen up" over time. It actually seemed to be doing just the opposite.

They are coming out today or Monday to fix it.

The service manager commented that that have had this happen more than once recently and are contacting Regency to see if they changed anything.

9. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    My H200 (same handle I believe) is fine. No issues yet.