HI300 insulation behind surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby123

Oct 19, 2009
annapolis, md
I am an Hi300 owner and have had the stove for about two years now. I just realised while looking through the manual that I should have had a strip of insulation installed on the back side of the surround. This was not installed, and I was wondering if other Hi300 owners, or even any other insert owners did have this insulation installed. I'm wondering if that might effect the performance of the stove by keeping more heat in around the fire box. I do have a block off plate installed, but nothing between the surround and fireplace front. Anyway, I would love to hear if others have this, and if it might be a factor in stove performance.

Thanks,
Toby

If you have a block off plate at the damper level installed I think you are fine unless you are feeling cold air intruding from around the surround edges when the insert isn't burning.

I have a block off plate and even at high stove top temps I can put my hand beside my insert inside the fireplace and it's not that hot at all. Most of the heat is through the glass or from the blower vents. The area behind my insert isn't that hot at all. I was going to insulate my firebox because it backs up to the garage but there just wasn't much heat back there.

I don't know, obviously there is some reason they supply this insulation. I guess it could be just to keep drafts out for stoves without a block off plate. I think it is possible that it could help keep the temps up on the firebox to increase the time it is able to hold a secondary burn, and put out useful heat. Anyway, I am going to try to get some rockwool in there at some point and see if it does anything. It certainly is worth a try.

Mine came with it and I didn't use it. Install instructions said to use it if you don't have a block off plate installed. Sounds like you don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.