1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

HI300 regency insert rattle noise issue

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Chris Roy, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Chris Roy

Chris Roy New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Having vibration and rattle noise issues with my hi300, loud enough that warrants not using anymore. never had issue with unit throwing heat, an it doesn't matter if it's on auto or Manuel select for blower. had installed by dean stove and spa back in 07. Anyone else have this issue??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Not me. Did you ever clean out the fans over the years? Maybe it sucked in something.
  3. Chris Roy

Chris Roy New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    just pulled out the blower assembly and tightened all nuts bolts I found, cleaned out the air intake and fans. also put a half a cap full of synthetic oil into each shaft of blower fans .. Noise is gone for now. I hope to god it doesn't come back cause this insert cut my oil bill to almost nothing..
  4. stejus

stejus Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    rattle issue with mine is the draft rod. Every once an a while it will vibrate. All I have to do is touch it and it goes away. Not sure if this is what is happening to yours, but keep that in mind if it happens again.
  5. Chris Roy

Chris Roy New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    had the draft rod issue before- the noise was way worse!! I mean rattle your teeth loose loud!! so far so good- I'll update in the am- right now insert is at 450 degrees and fan is on low . with almost no noise
  6. chazcarr

chazcarr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wolcott, CT
    I had that problem with my stove (which is basically yours) and found that the clip that holds the fan in front actually has two stop points. So it wasn't pushed all the way in. It took some force but now the fan is really locked on and makes no noise at either speed.

Until I found that out, I placed a silicone rubber ball under the front edge and it absorbed and stopped the vibration.
  7. Free BTUs

Free BTUs Member

Loc:
    SE Mass
    I have the same problem with my I2400 insert. With the fan on high speed, it will start to vibrate and make a loud rattleing sound. My friend that has the I3100 has the same problem. Both of us put a wedge under the fan assembly to stop the noise. The problem is that it will shake itself loose after about 4 hours and the noise comes back. I'd love to find a permanent fix for it.

chazzcar - is the clip you are talking baout on the fan itself inside the bottom shelf assembly or are you talking about pushing in on the entire bottom shelf assebly to engage a clip? Did you have to pull out the entire bottom assembly from the insert to get to the clip?
  8. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    haven't had a issue besides being so quiet that i have to make sure it is running (on low that is)

Clean it out regularly and make sure it is seated all the way back on the clips
  9. chazcarr

chazcarr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wolcott, CT
    inside the bottom shelf assembly. YOu have to push it on harder than you think, and it needs to be even on both sides. Once you have that it is silent.
  10. danham

danham Member

Loc:
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Regency will sometimes start rattling. It is always the "tin" surrounding the insert. It takes some juggling to get it into a position where there's enough tension on it (by pushing the insert toward the rear of the fireplace) to prevent rattling. Of course doing this while it's hot isn't going to fly, so sometimes just moving the tin a little with gloves on or putting up with the rattle are the only options. Naturally, it never does it cold [g].

-dan