Hibernating in wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
Noticing a lot of these in my splits this year. Not sure if they are hornets, wasps, yellow jackets... so many that I find I need to inspect every split before in comes in the house. Had one make it in the house and was buzzing around. Haven't been an issue in the past. Anyone else seeing this?

Hibernating in wood shed

Regardless of the species, these are most likely the queens, as (at least for many if not all) it's only the queen that survives winter.

So, if you are not welcoming to them, killing each one prevents a nest the next season.

Looks like it might be one of these:

Reactions: Gearhead660
yes. They are take about 3 hours to warm up. Not sure how cold hardy they are. I have been throwing or banging each split to hope and knock them off. Been loading my wheel barrow then bringing inside just what will burn. My 3 year old got them up his shirt. They hurt. He’s tough took three stings.

Evan

• Sad
Reactions: jaoneill
yes. They are take about 3 hours to warm up. Not sure how cold hardy they are. I have been throwing or banging each split to hope and knock them off. Been loading my wheel barrow then bringing inside just what will burn. My 3 year old got them up his shirt. They hurt. He’s tough took three stings.

Evan
I read somewhere that the workers die after about a week around 45F, and don't like to fly if its below 50-55F
Good link -
https://animals.mom.com/hibernation-yellow-jacket-8971.html

Noticing a lot of these in my splits this year. Not sure if they are hornets, wasps, yellow jackets... so many that I find I need to inspect every split before in comes in the house. Had one make it in the house and was buzzing around. Haven't been an issue in the past. Anyone else seeing this?

View attachment 288448
I've had the same...the splits go into the firebox as soon as they come inside now!

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Regardless of the species, these are most likely the queens, as (at least for many if not all) it's only the queen that survives winter.

So, if you are not welcoming to them, killing each one prevents a nest the next season.
If the are queens, that's a lot of queens!

Had one of those crawling across the kitchen floor the night before last. Ended up cremating her with no visitation after the service.

If the are queens, that's a lot of queens!

That does happen; big nests can produce a lot of them.
Or you had many nests nearby and this was the most appealing place in a mile around...

Those look like yellow jacket queens. They tried to make a nest in my tractors dash panel one winter, that was a fun discovery.

Reactions: semipro
I had a couple hives in my garden sheds. I sealed up the holes. Wonder if they were just looking for somewhere to stay.