Hickory and Carpenter ants/beetles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Indianawood

Nov 28, 2019
Northern Indiana
9C233BB0-D4D7-4308-AC0C-DE247753A9BB.jpeg
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the Carpenter ants from destroying my shagbark hickory? This is only 9 months old. Stacking on concrete or limestone help? Any help appreciated

Next time you cut hickory let it set for about 3 months. Then when you split it the bark should peel right off. That and keeping it from getting rained on in the stack is the most important. I never have too much of this problem.

Edit: I never split hickory green. To be honest most of mine are dead falls a year or older. This makes getting the bark off real easy.

Reactions: Indianawood
I stack my wood on 4x4's pressure treated, on the driveway. I don't put shagbark hickory in the bottom two rows (pignut hickory seems to be all right there). When I find ants in a split, I just put it by itself in the sun, where the birds can get at it easily. The ants disappear after a while. They will live deep inside the split in winter, I've found, if it's not set out on its own for birds to chow down.

I agree with Grizzerbear -- good to keep hickory dry.

Through the years I have stayed away from hickory, because I can't split it with the maul. Several years ago I did buy a dumptruck load of hickory that was cut and split. Small dump truck 8 x 8 feet. A lot of wood. About 4 Nissan Frontier truck loads.
I stacked it up on 4x4s in my woodpile that is under the carport roof. I had to work with the wood as I stacked it because about one in four pieces I had to split with the maul. Taking on a stick that is just 1/6 of the original log, I can split OK.

The wood looked fine I didn't notice any bugs and I was looking forward to burning some hickory.
After a year I noticed the wood was all covered with sawdust. This hickory was totally infested with bark beetles. I was afraid that the beetles would get into my other wood piles, or maybe infest my house.

I never stacked any of the hickory inside the house, I would put it on the porch which is pressure treated, and just bring a stick inside when I was about to put it in the wood stove. What a PITA. Had to knock all kinds of fine sawdust powder off of every stick.

I will never burn hickory again.

Through the years I have stayed away from hickory, because I can't split it with the maul. Several years ago I did buy a dumptruck load of hickory that was cut and split. Small dump truck 8 x 8 feet. A lot of wood. About 4 Nissan Frontier truck loads.
I stacked it up on 4x4s in my woodpile that is under the carport roof. I had to work with the wood as I stacked it because about one in four pieces I had to split with the maul. Taking on a stick that is just 1/6 of the original log, I can split OK.

The wood looked fine I didn't notice any bugs and I was looking forward to burning some hickory.
After a year I noticed the wood was all covered with sawdust. This hickory was totally infested with bark beetles. I was afraid that the beetles would get into my other wood piles, or maybe infest my house.

I never stacked any of the hickory inside the house, I would put it on the porch which is pressure treated, and just bring a stick inside when I was about to put it in the wood stove. What a PITA. Had to knock all kinds of fine sawdust powder off of every stick.

I will never burn hickory again.
I avoid it for the same reason..