Hickory as firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
My btu chart shows Bitternut Hickory as fairly high in btu content. Somebody has several hickory trees he wants down. Are all hickory species good firewood?

Yes they are. All pretty much the same,considered among the best there is.

Shagbark,Shellbark,Mockernut,Pignut,Bitternut...it dont matter what you're burning.

Burned half a cord of shagbark hickory a couple of years ago. Fantastic wood -- burns hot though.

Thistle said:

Shagbark,Shellbark,Mockernut,Pignut,Bitternut...it dont matter what you're burning.

+1 and BBQ too

Reactions: jaychino415
cptoneleg said:
Thistle said:

+1 and BBQ too

You got it. I'm hoping to get a few hickory nuts this year too,havent seen many so far,I think its a bit early for them compared to years past.Tough to get the kernels from that hard white shell,but they sure are tasty.

Thistle said:
cptoneleg said:
Thistle said:

+1 and BBQ too

You got it. I'm hoping to get a few hickory nuts this year too,havent seen many so far,I think its a bit early for them compared to years past.Tough to get the kernels from that hard white shell,but they sure are tasty.

That's exactly why he wants the trees taken out, tired of the nuts!

muncybob said:
Thistle said:
cptoneleg said:
Thistle said:

+1 and BBQ too

That's exactly why he wants the trees taken out, tired of the nuts!

yes those messy nuts. unbelievable. free food falling from the sky and we (not us) can't deal with that. some years ago i saw a huge mulberry tree being taken down cuz some tennants were complaining about the fruit falling on their cars. town removing cherry trees cuz they stained the flippin sidewalks. free, organic, plentiful FOOD falling from the sky, and we (not us) want to cut them down cuz they're inconvenient. what planet am i living on?

Reactions: Brewmonster
LOVe hickory. i'd burn it exclusively if i had the chance.

warped the baffle in my stove it did. someone left the draft open.

I think shags the best for the stove and pignut for the bbq.

Hickory is good if you have a hydraulic splitter, but if splitting by hand it wouldn't be my first choice. All the hickory I've ever split (which isn't a lot) was a beast to split. Maybe I just got lucky...

I've got 1-1/2 cords of shagbark seasoned 2 yrs. which will be going the the stove this winter. I'm sitting here with great expectations as I've never burned this type of wood before.

That shagbark can really pinch you when you are splitting it. The bark gets me every time.

Shari

I have about 2.5 cords of hickory in my stacks for this year. It's actually the first time I have had a good bit of it, looking forward to burning it this year

I have had my hickory, (not sure what kind but its not shagbark) split and stacked for about 7 months total. The bark is falling right off it at this point. Do you guys feel its seasoned enough to start burning in November or December? I just threw a tarp over the top of it this past weekend. It over hangs about a foot down. If I didnt use it until December, that would be 9 months total with a whole summer part of the 9 months of seasoning. I have about 6 cords of it and Im praying it is O.K. What kind of experience have you guys had with hickory? I know it burns hot.

tumm21 said:
I have had my hickory, (not sure what kind but its not shagbark) split and stacked for about 7 months total. The bark is falling right off it at this point. Do you guys feel its seasoned enough to start burning in November or December? I just threw a tarp over the top of it this past weekend. It over hangs about a foot down. If I didnt use it until December, that would be 9 months total with a whole summer part of the 9 months of seasoning. I have about 6 cords of it and Im praying it is O.K. What kind of experience have you guys had with hickory? I know it burns hot.

It may be fine or it may be pretty damp still. Buy a moisture meter and pop open a split and check it out. I'm not real experienced with hickory so I'm not the best one to comment on how fast it dries.

tumm21 said:
Hopefully we get some more answers here guys. I need experienced hickory burners answers please

What more can we tell ya? Half the answers are from people that have burned it and they say it is great. For what it is worth I stack it right in with the oak in my stacks and it burns the same.

Go get it.

I am fortunate to have quite a few Shagbark Hickory trees in my woods. They are kind of tricky to cut though. They tend to splinter when you cut them down and can be a little dangerous.

tumm21 said:
Hopefully we get some more answers here guys. I need experienced hickory burners answers please

I have eaten good BBQ that was cooked with hickory, but I still like mesquite BBQ better, and that is all I know about it. :zip:

Too much talk of nuts maybe. From personal exp, hickory is as good as it gets. Just season it, like any thing else.

We use hickory and oak. Both good. Hickory seasons about twice as fast as our oak. I have about sixty gallons of hickory bark that we will try in the stove this year. I am not sure what to expect, but hope it will be good kindling.

JimboM said:
We use hickory and oak. Both good. Hickory seasons about twice as fast as our oak. I have about sixty gallons of hickory bark that we will try in the stove this year. I am not sure what to expect, but hope it will be good kindling.
I cut up a downed hickory last year , and I will agree, it did seem to season really fast. I was surprised how quickly it dried out. Hurricane Irene uprooted two big hickory trees along my riding trail in my woods. Worked one down to the trunk wood, was a good mature 35- 40 foot tree. Wow lots of nuts this year. The brush I stacked was loaded with nuts, like a bumper crop. I know where the deer will be.

The pignut hickory that I cut split and stacked last summer still feels heavy as a rock. Dont think it is ready to burn even after over a year of seasoning.

Hickory is dense. If you need the wood this year, check the moisture. You might be surprised. I was surprised at ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.