Hickory bugs in Wisconsin?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
I have access to cut a lot of shagbark Hickory. Can anyone tell me if bugs/beetles will be a problem with this wood in Wisconsin? I don't want to take the job if the wood will be infested and turned to sawdust. Any Midwest indoor burners outthere who can help me with this? Thanks

You will get some as we do but others have said if you don't want it they will come and take it off your hands- me too. I get some in maple and a few other woods. You are not going to get around all the bugs. Heck I even found some in hedge, do you think I will give up the best heat for a few worms- they burn just fine. Hickory will be the same thing and I got a lot of both. Cut and burn it and enjoy the heat.

Here, in Hickory, I usually get post powder beetles...you'll see little piles of fine sawdust. I don't worry about 'em; They leave most of the wood for me. ==c

Its not as bad as we make it out to be. Even if the hickory has been around a while it doesnt really get turned to powder.
Like Woody said, most of it is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.