Hickory Dickory Duh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinwburke

Nov 5, 2009
Central Mass
A friend of mine works at a custom cabinet shop. Brings over kindling occasionaly. Last night while I was out, he dropped off two barrels of Hickory for the first time. Now I know I should not even ask this....but I can't resist. Most of the hickory has a light stain on it. I assume I need to stay away from that stuff? Would just love to burn some of it since my wood is not really seasoned yet and otherwise I have to haul it all off.. I have a new Jotul 500. Ok....have at me.....ask a stupid question.....

kevinwburke said:
A friend of mine works at a custom cabinet shop. Brings over kindling occasionaly. Last night while I was out, he dropped off two barrels of Hickory for the first time. Now I know I should not even ask this....but I can't resist. Most of the hickory has a light stain on it. I assume I need to stay away from that stuff? Would just love to burn some of it since my wood is not really seasoned yet and otherwise I have to haul it all off.. I have a new Jotul 500. Ok....have at me.....ask a stupid question.....

huh my dad drops off scraps all the time but he never stains anything but the finnish products wonder why the scraps would be stained?

My neighbor is in the custom cabinet business. I burn his scraps as kindling all the time. Occasionally run by a stained piece, probably not the best for the environment but they burn fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Can't imagine any of the bad stuff being left in it. Just pigment after the volatiles dry out. And don't forget, you are producing your own volatiles every time you burn. So I say go ahead. If it was lead paint, there would be a whole other answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.