Hickory -is it worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillLion

Minister of Fire
Sep 4, 2013
Greater Hartford, CT
Last year I made the switch to scrounging and only purchased one cord to help get me through this season (better than 3 or 4 bought like in the past).

Anyway, a tree guy I know is offering to sell me a cord (or 2) of GREEN hickory split and delivered for $200. I've heard so many good things about hickory I'm tempted to buy it. (For reference a cord of split "seasoned" wood typically goes for $250 delivered around here.)

1. Those with hickory experience -is it worth paying for instead of waiting for whatever comes my way?
2. How does hickory stack up against oak?
3. Would you buy or pass? Why?

Thanks!

$100 a cord for Green Hickory isn't bad in my book. Not sure about BTU's, but I burned some Hickory a couple of years ago and was happy with it. Still working on getting ahead, ay.......me too, been trying for 7 years, and starting to close in on my goal.:cool:

Reactions: BillLion
$100 a cord for Green Hickory isn't bad in my book. Not sure about BTU's, but I burned some Hickory a couple of years ago and was happy with it. Still working on getting ahead, ay.......me too, been trying for 7 years, and starting to close in on my goal.:cool:

Thanks! Just to clarify, he's asking $200 per cord. I'm sure I can get a discount (and/or some ash logs thrown in) if I take 2.

i dont like hickory much. it splits horribly (i know its already split, but figured id throw that in anyway), seasons slow, and likes to leave lots of coals. do a search. lots of people feel the same as i do. however.... it does have a high btu value. many do like it. powder post beetles are a problem with it as well.

$200 a Cord !.....nah....not me

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I burn a lot of hickory but $200 a cord seems like too much. I've never bought it though.

You're asking mostly pure scroungers here. Hickory is great firewood but it's a three year season wood. The coaling is less when it's very dry, if you have an extra 400.00 it's great wood to have sitting waiting for you. I would pay 100.00 a cord but not 200.00. He will sell it though and get that. Good luck scrounging.

I don't buy wood as I am fortunate to get so much scrounging, but Hickory is a kick-ass wood. Just burned some last night and the heat it threw put me and the better half off to dreamland-it rocks!!!

I think about it if it was shagbark, the best wood I ever burned was shagbark, probably the best wood I can get in my neck of the woods. I'd try and offer him a bit less and see if he bites.

I like hickory, a lot.

fv

Hickory is good but at that price, I'd have to do some serious thinking and would probably pass.

Hickory is one my favorites, on the level with Oak, but I'd take free silver maple with yard adornments included rather than pay $200 for a cord, it's all ash in the end.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Hickory sounds amazing, but looks like I'll have to wait to try it out.

I was going to buy a cord, but the seller is trying to find someone to take 2 cords instead of 1. This will avoid him having to unload by hand, so I can hardly blame him. If he does break it up, I'll still take one, but I decided I won't buy 2.

I did work out a sweet deal on unsplit green ash rounds. I'll hold off on details until it happens...but I'm pretty psyched about it!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Hickory sounds amazing, but looks like I'll have to wait to try it out.

I was going to buy a cord, but the seller is trying to find someone to take 2 cords instead of 1. This will avoid him having to unload by hand, so I can hardly blame him. If he does break it up, I'll still take one, but I decided I won't buy 2.

I did work out a sweet deal on unsplit green ash rounds. I'll hold off on details until it happens...but I'm pretty psyched about it!

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of ash firewood for sale in CT in the near future. I'm in East Haddam, where there isn't supposed to be any eastern ash borers, according to the DEEP, but there's newly dead limbs and what appear to be "D" shaped exit holes on the one ash tree we have in our yard.

Last year I made the switch to scrounging and only purchased one cord to help get me through this season (better than 3 or 4 bought like in the past).

Anyway, a tree guy I know is offering to sell me a cord (or 2) of GREEN hickory split and delivered for $200. I've heard so many good things about hickory I'm tempted to buy it. (For reference a cord of split "seasoned" wood typically goes for $250 delivered around here.)

1. Those with hickory experience -is it worth paying for instead of waiting for whatever comes my way?
2. How does hickory stack up against oak?
3. Would you buy or pass? Why?

Thanks!

Green(ish) oak was going for about$185/cord on eastern CT CL a week ago. $250 is a rip off even in CT. Keep looking.

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of ash firewood for sale in CT in the near future. I'm in East Haddam, where there isn't supposed to be any eastern ash borers, according to the DEEP, but there's newly dead limbs and what appear to be "D" shaped exit holes on the one ash tree we have in our yard.

Lisbon too. ALB is suspected as well.

I graduated from Hale-Ray, btw.

Interesting.

Green(ish) oak was going for about$185/cord on eastern CT CL a week ago. $250 is a rip off even in CT. Keep looking.

I used to buy all my wood; $250 for was for "seasoned" wood delivered. I actually had decent luck most of the time. I'm now in scrounge mode, but I need to balance $ w/ time savings, so I'm willing to do some strategic purchasing when a deal comes around. For ex: I'm buying the ash green and in rounds at a substantial savings. I'll split it, but I'm thrilled at all the time not spent bucking it up and picking it up (since a minivan is the best vehicle at my disposal).

This season I used 1.5 cord of purchased wood and I'm guessing I'll end up using 3 to 3.5 of scrounged stuff.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Lisbon too. ALB is suspected as well.

I graduated from Hale-Ray, btw.

I spend a lot of time paddling kayaks and rowing my Adirondack guide boat on Aspinook pond and up the Quinebaug. Last summer I saw what looked like all sorts of sick ash trees along the shore. It seemed as if most of the ash trees up there were suffering - though I didn't get close enough to any to see if they had the D holes in the bark.

The state had those purple "Barney" traps hanging in the trees along 169 up through Lisbon and Canterbury but I don't think they found much because they still don't include those towns having any EAB.

It's the same coming over from Montville, through Salem and into East Haddam - last summer I saw lots of big old ash trees along the roads that look like they were dying off.

I'm not from East Haddam btw - we moved here recently from Montville, before that Niantic, and I come from Stamford originally.

For what it is worth- my experience with Hickory has been marginal. The bugs love this stuff , most of mine is oozing saw dust. I am talking inches of dust after one year of seasoning at this rate how much will be left after 3 year ?
I think I will be targeting Black locust instead.

$100.00 for a cord of Hickory already split is a great price. I don't know bout the rest of the snubs on here, but around here a load of pole length hardwood damn near equates $100.00 per cord, and it has to be cut and split yet. Not a bad price at all, and burns similar to oak. I have not issues with too many coals myself, so not sure what those complaints are about.
Already split hickory.... I'd jump on that.
I'd take that Hickory of Ash any day of the week. Ash is really nothing special, and the poor man's Oak.

Take a look at the BTU chart and look where Hickory is.... nuff said there.
If someone can't burn Hickory with success, it ain't the wood's issue.
Better BTUs than Oak even. Just give it time to dry, and it will put out great heat.
I'll be hap[py to take all the Hickory nobody wants. Just drop it off, and my Summit will thank you.
I love it. Mix it with oak and wallah...

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/W/AE_wood_heat_value_BTU.html

Last edited:
$100.00 for a cord of Hickory already split is a great price. I don't know bout the rest of the snubs on here, but around here a load of pole length hardwood damn near equates $100.00 per cord, and it has to be cut and split yet. Not a bad price at all, and burns similar to oak. I have not issues with too many coals myself, so not sure what those complaints are about.
Already split hickory.... I'd jump on that.
I'd take that Hickory of Ash any day of the week. Ash is really nothing special, and the poor man's Oak.

Take a look at the BTU chart and look where Hickory is.... nuff said there.
If someone can't burn Hickory with success, it ain't the wood's issue.
Better BTUs than Oak even. Just give it time to dry, and it will put out great heat.
I'll be hap[py to take all the Hickory nobody wants. Just drop it off, and my Summit will thank you.
I love it. Mix it with oak and wallah...

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/W/AE_wood_heat_value_BTU.html

Thanks your input on the hickory! If it was $100 per cord, I'd be all over it, it's actually $200 per. I'll take one if the seller doesn't find a buyer for the pair.

From what I hear about splitting hickory, having it split in advance would be a good thing!

RE: Ash. I have some oak, elm, and a couple varieties of maple drying. Some ash to round it out would be nice, especially at the prices I was quoted for the rounds!

From what I hear about splitting hickory, having it split in advance would be a good thing!

Not all hickory is hard to split. I just finished processing a mockernut hickory that fell in the woods alongside my house during a storm - good size tree, about 22" diameter at breast height with a nice trunk about 50 feet before the first branching. I split it all with my Fiskars X27. It split quite easily in fact.

I've also dealt with some smaller shagbark hickory trees that were a cinch to split as well. I think a lot of it depends on how the tree grew....but that's the same with other species of tree as well. I know I cut a lot of black birch (BTU ratings right up there with Hickory) and most of the time it splits very easily. I did cut one black birch, however, that I could drive wedges through the rounds all the way to the block and they still wouldn't split free of the round.

Reactions: BillLion
Ah my mistake. I misread and though it was $100.00 per cord.
For me $200.00 would be too much. I have read of some paying $250.00+ for oak and other hardwood cords. I'll still to buying pole length.

Status
Not open for further replies.