Hickory -is it worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sell me a cord (or 2) of GREEN hickory split and delivered for $200.
I thought it was $100 a cord also......now, that I would consider, but here, $200 a cord would be seasoned

Hickory is my favorite wood, but each one has its pros and cons. I wouldn't pay extra for it, and no one around here charges more than they'd charge for oak or sugar maple. Hickory burns a little longer than oak (though actually it depends on what kind of hickory and what kind of oak). They both spark a lot, hickory probably more. It's got that nice bacon smell. It seasons quicker than red oak -- I'm burning some now that cooked in my hot driveway for only ten months. I'll wait longer for the oak, maybe 18 months. Oak is easier to split. Shagbark hickory seems to split pretty well when seasoned, but whatever hickory I have now is a little tough to split. For whatever reason, the combination of hickory and American cherry makes a great looking fire -- dancing flames. You really can't go wrong with various hard woods -- the amount of seasoning is way more important than the type of tree.

Bacon smells like hickory. Hickory smells like bacon.

Last year I made the switch to scrounging and only purchased one cord to help get me through this season (better than 3 or 4 bought like in the past).

Anyway, a tree guy I know is offering to sell me a cord (or 2) of GREEN hickory split and delivered for $200. I've heard so many good things about hickory I'm tempted to buy it. (For reference a cord of split "seasoned" wood typically goes for $250 delivered around here.)

1. Those with hickory experience -is it worth paying for instead of waiting for whatever comes my way?
2. How does hickory stack up against oak?
3. Would you buy or pass? Why?

Thanks!

King Solomon would say offer $300 for two cords.

I spend a lot of time paddling kayaks and rowing my Adirondack guide boat on Aspinook pond and up the Quinebaug. Last summer I saw what looked like all sorts of sick ash trees along the shore. It seemed as if most of the ash trees up there were suffering - though I didn't get close enough to any to see if they had the D holes in the bark.

The state had those purple "Barney" traps hanging in the trees along 169 up through Lisbon and Canterbury but I don't think they found much because they still don't include those towns having any EAB.

It's the same coming over from Montville, through Salem and into East Haddam - last summer I saw lots of big old ash trees along the roads that look like they were dying off.

I'm not from East Haddam btw - we moved here recently from Montville, before that Niantic, and I come from Stamford originally.

My wife and I kayak the Quinebaug between J.C. And Plainfield often. Saw the sick ash. Missed the traps on 169.

My Hickory sparks, but never had Sparking from Oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.