1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

hickory or walnut

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by ash bucket, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ash bucket

ash bucket New Member

Loc:
    central KY
    Probably an easy question for most but since I can't ID trees very well, here goes:

What the easiest ways to tell hickory and walnut apart? I have access to some land to cut firewood and the only stipulation the landowner has is to take all the hickory I want but leave the walnuts. So, standing, how can I tell them apart? Pictures of leaves of each or standing trees helpful. thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
  3. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    A real quick method if you can find a twig - walnut twigs have a 'chambered pith' - in other words, the center of the twig has a series of small chambers separated by thin walls. You can find a good image of this on the web. Hickory twigs are not chambered. Cheers!
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I would learn to tell the bark apart. Apart from Black Hickory, they are pretty dis-similar and should be an easy ID. Walnuts are already dropping leaves around here. Bark is best if you can, because leaves aren't much help if you cut in the winter.