hickory or walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ash bucket

Jul 6, 2009
central KY
Probably an easy question for most but since I can't ID trees very well, here goes:

What the easiest ways to tell hickory and walnut apart? I have access to some land to cut firewood and the only stipulation the landowner has is to take all the hickory I want but leave the walnuts. So, standing, how can I tell them apart? Pictures of leaves of each or standing trees helpful. thanks!

A real quick method if you can find a twig - walnut twigs have a 'chambered pith' - in other words, the center of the twig has a series of small chambers separated by thin walls. You can find a good image of this on the web. Hickory twigs are not chambered. Cheers!

ash bucket said:
Probably an easy question for most but since I can't ID trees very well, here goes:

What the easiest ways to tell hickory and walnut apart? I have access to some land to cut firewood and the only stipulation the landowner has is to take all the hickory I want but leave the walnuts. So, standing, how can I tell them apart? Pictures of leaves of each or standing trees helpful. thanks!

I would learn to tell the bark apart. Apart from Black Hickory, they are pretty dis-similar and should be an easy ID. Walnuts are already dropping leaves around here. Bark is best if you can, because leaves aren't much help if you cut in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.