Hickory species correction?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
i have some hickory that is about 2 yrs old. Drying conditions fair. Fresh splits average around 25%. My moisture meter does not give specific species correction tables. Would you all likely figure this wood to be likely in the area of 22%?

There is a good thread here https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/using-a-multimeter-to-measure-wood-moisture-level.40033/ about using a multimeter and a USFS table to calculate moisture content in wood. Hickory and Oak have different fiber structures that result in quite different resistance readings and a typical moisture meter isn't calibrated for these types of wood. I've found that 2 year hickory burns OK, but with 3 year hickory I am terrified to put more than 50% hickory in a stove load as it burns very, very hot. That third year really seems to make a difference. I've heard the same about oak as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.