Hickory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, old thread but since this was the only time I've seen an ID thread end without consensus I'll revive it to say I've settled on Cucumber Magnolia. I threw a few splits in the fire pit this weekend and it lit right up and didn't hiss a bit. Only a low BTU wood could dry that quickly and since it split so easily that's two strikes against Black Gum which is supposed to be moderate or any of the nut trees since they'd be higher BTU.

Still say black gum too. Leaves second pic in post #32 much smaller than leaves of cucumber tree magnolia.
I have cucumber tree magnolia in back yard - leaves are larger (6" long) with margins that are entire but undulated.
New growth of twigs of cucumber tree are greenish (cv. with post of post #24).

My first guess, after looking at the bark, was Black Cherry. Have quite a bit of it on my property (cutting some up right now). The one thing that made me think it wasn't was the color of the heartwood - usually it's a little more dark off the rip. But that scaled bark looks very much like Black Cherry and the leaves are damn close.

it's not Cherry. I'm certain of that.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
Status
Not open for further replies.