hickory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanko

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 26, 2008
livingstion co, Michigan
will hickory that was sorta on its way out, be ready this winter? one tree never leafted out this spring and its split and under cover. both were taken out by carpenter ants probably last year.

Doubt it, hickory at least the shagbark hickory by me takes at least a year and a half to 2 years.

Split, stacked loose, single row, in sun and wind, top cover only (or not) it should be good. Hickory is the gold standard here in the northeast IMHO. Splits nice, smells great when its burning, make food like the chicken I'm eating this very moment taste great, and puts out more heat than anything else around here.

Scored some hickory for last season, but only had 7 months to season it. I cut it 1/2 to 2/3 the size I would have normally and by the time I was ready to burn it in January, most pieces were at 16% moisture.

I love hickory for burning, tool handles, flooring, and cabinets. If I had a good supply I would burn some and have some sawed into lumber for woodworking projects. :coolgrin:

near me the ony hickory you every see is when the ants get to part of it and people take em down because of the wieght and the change to snap. Still good wood just not a lot of furniture grade stuff.

Hanko, get that top cover off the wood ASAP. That will allow for greater evaporation. Don't cover it until fall rains or winter snows begin. Then cover only the top.

From what you describe, you might get away with burning that this winter. But if you decide it isn't too good, perhaps I could come down and take it off your hands. Just let me know when you will be away and I'll come quietly... lol Good luck.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hanko, get that top cover off the wood ASAP. That will allow for greater evaporation. Don't cover it until fall rains or winter snows begin. Then cover only the top.

From what you describe, you might get away with burning that this winter. But if you decide it isn't too good, perhaps I could come down and take it off your hands. Just let me know when you will be away and I'll come quietly... lol Good luck.

Geez thanks, ILL appreciate that. the truth is its allready split and under the roof. I guess ILL just have to try it. My F-500 does not seem to like wet wood

Hanko said:
Geez thanks, ILL appreciate that. the truth is its allready split and under the roof. I guess ILL just have to try it. My F-500 does not seem to like wet wood

It'll burn fine. Leave it right where it is. I get a kick out all the folks that say leave it uncovered out in the mud, the blood and the beer and then turn around and say that it takes two years for it to season. No kidding. My hardwood has always had the top covered from the afternoon that it is cut down, split and stacked until the first fire in October. And except for this year all has been cut and stacked in April and May and rings the bell on the moisture meter from 18% to 20% by Fall and burns great. I went up to look at the chimneys yesterday and they both look they have a light coat of black dust on'em. Touched it with my finger and saw the shine of stainless steel.

BrotherBart said:
...I went up to look at the chimneys yesterday and they both look they have a light coat of black dust on'em. Touched it with my finger and saw the shine of stainless steel.

I love the shine of stainless steel in the morning. It looks like...victory! :cheese: Rick

BrotherBart said:
Hanko said:

It'll burn fine. Leave it right where it is. I get a kick out all the folks that say leave it uncovered out in the mud, the blood and the beer and then turn around and say that it takes two years for it to season. No kidding. My hardwood has always had the top covered from the afternoon that it is cut down, split and stacked until the first fire in October. And except for this year all has been cut and stacked in April and May and rings the bell on the moisture meter from 18% to 20% by Fall and burns great. I went up to look at the chimneys yesterday and they both look they have a light coat of black dust on'em. Touched it with my finger and saw the shine of stainless steel.

you sound like my kind of guy, ILL post some pics what I have so far later, thanks

I've burned a lot of wood that "could be drier", but at some point it's better'n oil if it's all you got. It stinks burning more than needed for the same heat... but watch the chimney and keep stoking.

I've got maybe 2.5 cord oak and birch, and the rest might have to be (gulp) pine for the year (I have it down but suspended for 2 years, so dry).

Got my cord and a half of white oak drying however:

Ode to a cord and a half of white oak

Oh imposing white oak, so slow to season
You shaded my hazelnuts, providing me reason
To disassemble your @$$ right in my dirt drive
By Stihl and by steel, over a cord I derived.

Now your mass decreases as your moisture content wanes
Your caloric value increases- without a tax on my gains!
And I reflect on this weekend of squirreling for the cold
My body wracked with pain- I'm getting friggin old

Oh cord and a half- do not be bitter
Though you met your match in saw and in splitter
You fell for a purpose- few can say the same
Though few that can not had a poem so lame

Hanko, I have found that hickory will season fine if you can give it a full summer/fall to sit, stacked. It does not have the high water content of woods like white oak. Keeping a lid on it is your call, but if BroB says to do it, do it.

I play with my wood (no jokes!) quite a bit with a moisture meter, just cuz I can, and have found hickory to be on par with osage as far as drying times and final moisture levels go.

BUT.....keep in mind that your weather/location can have a big impact on drying times.

p.s. as a side note, after several tests and seasons of testing, I still recommend 2 years for white oak.

Yep white oak doesn't get to its full potential near as fast as other hardwoods that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.