High efficiency fireplace recommendation for new construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachael

May 1, 2014
Cleveland, OH
We are building a new home, a 1,900-square foot ranch with an open floor plan. We want a fireplace look with the ability to heat the home. I considered the FireplaceXtrodinair, but don't like how it requires electricity to use. We want to be able to heat the home during power outages. Also considering the BIS Tradition, Lennox Montecito and Regency units. The Regency salesman pitched the lifetime warranty, which is a nice factor. We like the look of the Napoleon, but they don't seem the most efficient. There seem to many choices, with no clear cut winner. We will have electric heat and like to supplement it. What do you all think? It would be nice to hear from owners and experts. All the dealers I have dealt with just seem to want to push a particular brand without giving me good comparisons. Thanks!

RSF, BIS, Kozy, FPX all make good units. The Montecito is made by BIS (sold as the Tradition CE). There are differences in looks and some features between these units, but they all will do the job. Flush faced heaters almost always need a blower, but some can be ducted for gravity feed and run with the blower off. There are also some new units on the market using existing stove technology. Pacific Energy makes the FP30, Hearthstone makes the Montgomery, and Regency makes the EX90. All 3 have limited lifetime warranties for key components.

The size of the unit is going to depend on how tightly insulated and sealed the house construction is. I would advise to spend extra and have a construction that breaks the thermal bridge with the studs from the exterior envelope. This will pay off handsomely over time with reduced heating and cooling costs. Do you have the specification for the primary heating system or the heat loss calculation for the home? That will guide you to the correct size fireplace heater.

One more thing to add to all the great advice BeGreen was giving: Whatever efficient fireplace you will install, it absolutely will need dry wood with an internal moisture content of less than 20% to perform well and burn safely. It is rare that you can buy dry wood, thus most people stack their split firewood in a sunny and windy spot in their yard for one to three years, depending on the wood species. If you plan on burning the coming winter you will need to get your wood now, so it can dry at least somewhat. Ash and softwoods dry relatively fast during just one summer and you may have a chance of getting it at least semi-seasoned. If there is room I would think about putting up about 4 cords in some unused spot at your building site.

If you want to be able to heat during a power outage, a stove will work much better than a fireplace and could also be used for cooking. For a new airtight construction, I would add an outside air kit to your fireplace. That will improve draft and be slightly more energy efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.