High Flow Zone Valves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred61

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Southeastern Vt.
A while back there was some discussion about high flow zone valves. Did a search here and and found lots of discussions on zone valves but was unable to find the discussion on high flow valves. Can anyone tell me what brands to look for and who retails them?

What size pipe and what flow rate are you considering. Valves are rated by cv coefficient of velocity. I you look at a common zone valve it may have a cv of 7. That means at a flow rate of 7 gpm there will be a 1 psi pressure drop through the valve. The 7 is not the max flow that can pass through, that valve could flow 15- 20 gpm but the pressure drop will increase.

If you flow 15 gpm through a valve with a cv of 7 the pressure drop will be 4 psi.

The White Rogers 1311 ZV could be considered a high flow valve.

hr

Attachments

• Picture 24.png
    Picture 24.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 419
Don't know the flow rate at this time. Thinking about replacing my old Peerless with a Polaris, or similar, in the future and may need to route the return from three radiant zones so I'm thinking I will want to keep the resistance as low as possible. Right now it's just a sketch on a ripped open envelope on the stand next to my recliner. There are several ways I could accomplish an automatic changeover but one that looked promising required a zone valve. BTW thanks for the info!

To add to what Hot Rod explained so succinctly. ...remember that 1PSI = 2.31 ft of head. So at a flow rate of 7 on the valve he used in his example you would be adding 2.3 ft of head. If you went up to the 15gpm you would be adding nearly 10 ft of head.

In order to pursue this a little more scientifically I need to calculate the flow. I've got some loops throttled down so I really don't know what the flow is. I did the throttling by checking supply and return temperatures in each loop. Chances are, after reading the stats above, I probably shouldn't be worrying about restricting the flow.

I am hoping to try out a Taco EBV Electronic Ball Valve. I ordered a 1" normally open from PexSupply.com 8 WEEKS AGO (!) and was told it was on backorder and will ship "in a few days". I'm still waiting patiently.

These really seem like the ticket, as they are a full-port ball valve, and are available open or closed in normal position. A capacitor stores the energy to open or close the valve and return back to normal position. They have a very low wattage draw (1.5 watts) after the capacitor is fully charged.

http://s3.pexsupply.com/manuals/1259851182167/19976_PROD_FILE.pdf

Just be sure to order it from someone who actually STOCKS it.

WoodEnergy said:
I am hoping to try out a Taco EBV Electronic Ball Valve. I ordered a 1" normally open from PexSupply.com 8 WEEKS AGO (!) and was told it was on backorder and will ship "in a few days". I'm still waiting patiently.

These really seem like the ticket, as they are a full-port ball valve, and are available open or closed in normal position. A capacitor stores the energy to open or close the valve and return back to normal position. They have a very low wattage draw (1.5 watts) after the capacitor is fully charged.

http://s3.pexsupply.com/manuals/1259851182167/19976_PROD_FILE.pdf

Just be sure to order it from someone who actually STOCKS it.

Mind if I ask what it's going to cost you, if you ever get it? Looks good!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.