high heat paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2008
Montana
I need to do some touch ups on the stove pipe in our living room. It would be easiest to use the paintable high heat paint - however that appears to only be available in "Satin" which has a bit of sheet to it. The pipe is currently flat black - which is only available in spray paint. Anyone have a easy idea for either brush painting with spray paint or a magic way to tape off short of making our living room look like a scene from Dexter?

Is removing the stovepipe and taking it outside not an option?

Drill a hole I. The can and put it I. A cup then coat it. But I would just take the pipe out or paint in hose with drop cloths and someone holding a shopvac to suck up over spray.

I guess I thought if I take it apart then the paint might get chipped when putting it back together. Which would put me right back where I am.

My stovepipe was "touched up" after assembly with a rattle can of stove paint. I've used Rust-Oleum High Heat Flat Black to paint mufflers on lawn tractors and there is zero sheen to that.

If ur just touching up you can spray some on a piece of cardboard then dip a brush in it. Or jua be careful?

Drill a hole I. The can and put it I. A cup then coat it. But I would just take the pipe out or paint in hose with drop cloths and someone holding a shopvac to suck up over spray.

Couldn't that end up going bad? Something about explosive vapors being sucked into an electric motor (read: sparks) seems like a bad idea to me. Probably about the same chance as blowing up while fueling your vehicle while running or on your phone, buy I'm sure it could happen.

Use a hammer and nail. According to a guy on utube it was a cheap source of quality lacquor paint. I think he drilled it out and was smoking!!

Reactions: swagler85
Yeah I'd just take the spray paint can and put a hole in it. If you don't want to do that, go outside and just spray the can out into an empty baby food jar or something until you have enough for your project. If you want it to look real nice, sand the areas you are going to paint first, then apply some paint, and sand with fine grit paper between 2-4 applications of the paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.