Q&A high-low burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hello Craig-I am burning an older airtight, and have run into a kind of question. Stove works great, I took the thermostat out and am running manually. Once I get the chimney warmed up and a good bed of coals in the stove I have tried to find a spot to get this thing to run at a little lower temp. But I have found that to keep a flame on the fire and the temp. up at at least 300 (stack temp, single wall) this stove puts out a lot of heat even with the stove draft pinched way down. SO I'M WONDERING if this is just a trait of steel airtights that you may have learned through trial and error? Does a person have a little better control over the actual temp of a cast, soapstone, or maybe a cat stove? Craig I've read the firestarting and keeping it going articles on Hearthnet. Write if you get time-Thanks Steve

Answer:

Newer EPA stoves must be designed to pass tests proving clean-burning ability at many different heat levels....Older stoves had no such test. So, all the newer stoves, both cat and non-cat are easier to control. The best way to control an older stove is to limit the amount of fuel...less fuel and more air will result in a cleaner fire...with less heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.