High pellet use this season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am burning more than last year and will be close to what I burned 2 years ago. That being said I switched over from propane to NG last year and I don't mind supplementing with NG, in fact NG is probably cheaper. But to put this into perspective, when I was really trying to keep the energy bills down 2 years ago I burned about 5 tons of pellets and used about 100 gallons of propane. This year I will use about 5 tons of pellets but I have really been letting the furnaces run and I know I will use way more than the equivalent of 100 gallons of propane. Maybe I should really look at my gas bill?

Just hit the 3 ton mark; have 1 1/2 tons left. Been having a "blast" with the weather and ice dam issues. Went up to the attic after some leaking and found our insulation situation could definitely be improved. I know, stupid to not look at it earlier. The bathroom off the bedroom has always been freezing, now I know why. No insulation over it!

Usually go through two tons for the entire heating season. Bought two tons, and was down to the last 20 bags and just bought another ton to hopefully get me through this winter. I'm sure glad I've got a pellet stove. My oil guy is at $3.50 a gallon. If I save 500 gallons which would be a typical heating season, I'll be ahead about $1000 after you net out the cost of 3 tons of pellets. I could made an argument that my savings this year would be even greater because that 500 gallon savings is during a warmer winter.

My pellet consumption has gone down to about 3-4 bags a week. Last year I used a little over 4.5 tons and 75 gallons of propane. Last fall, I installed a split mini heat pump with a head upstairs and a head in the basement. Suprisingly, my power bill has gone up only 45.00 per month. I am keeping the thermostat on the pellet stove set at 68 and it only fires up on those cold nights and mornings. Although it was an initial expense of 4,500.00, I was able to obtain rebates from the PUD of $1,500.00 and the State of WA for $750.00. Considering I was heating the house with pellets using a ton approximately every 5 weeks, I figure I have dramatically reduced my heating expense, as well as the labor savings of handling the pellets. With the reduction in burn time, I am not having to clean the pellet stove so often, however, being a maintenance freak, I still have to have my fingers in the stove.

Check with your utility to see if they are offering rebates for these units. The split mini heat pumps do not take up much space, they are quiet, however, they are not going to rapidly heat your home. They are best set at a given temp and left alone. The only drawback would be for you folks in the extreme cold climates as the efficiency of these units degrade once the outdoor temps are +/- 14 degees F.

Having the pellet stove to supplement the heat pump has been a win for this household.

PV

Status
Not open for further replies.