High Temp Door Gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
After experiencing firsthand the deterioration of a rubber type door gasket on my Wood Gun after only 1 heating season I am on a quest to find a better and longer lasting gasket. I think the new one I just installed and the other 2 doors should be OK for this heating season but I will probably replace all door seals next summer. The main characteristics I looked for were high temp resistence along with being able to withstand exposure to flame and below is what I have come up with:

http://www.firesleeveandtape.com/very-high-temperature-vermiculite-coated-fiberglass-rope.html

This one is rated to 500 F continued exposure...is that high enough?

http://www.adlinsulflex.com/high-temp-rope/

any thoughts? AHS sent me what appears to be standard fiberglass rope when I had ordered their "kit"...so they then sent me the so call kit which is basically a rubber type gasket and some high temp sealant which is exaclty what was on the doors to begin with. Shielding the gasket somehow from the flame/heat is probably the better solution to contimue to use the orginal gaskets but these gaskets may just do the job?

I'm admittedly a newbie so take this for a grain of salt. I just started my 2nd year of burning. Before which, I replaced all of the gaskets among the door and glass. After 72 hours I have not yet a speck of color on my glass. While, last year, I had to clean my glass every single day. I bought all new gasket ropes from a certified dealer, though my stove is a Jotul, the gaskets came off a Ruttland spool. Not trying to play favorites, just saying what happened. Anyway, last year, I cleaned the glass with Ruttland bottled chemical cleaner, just about every day. Since replacing gaskets along the glass(which the dealer assured me was not something to be replaced) I have crystal pure glass after 72 hours of 24x7 burn time. YMMV, I guess.
-AJM

Status
Not open for further replies.