High temp silicone on pellet vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan

Sep 27, 2007
Central MA
I am in the process of finishing the install of my Harman XXV. I am using Simpsons pellet vent pro (rated with 1" clearance, I use 3"); the stove dealer sold me the usual high temp silicone that everyone uses to seal the pellet vent. Simpsons says that the vent is engineered so that silicone seal is not required but optional. Harman recommend sealling the connection with a silicone seal. So I sealed every connection with the silicone including at the connection between the simpson vent pipe adapter and the exhaust port of the stove itself. Seems perfectly normal to me. My question is .... Will the heat of the stove and the silicone (rated hight temp) produce a dangerous odor within the house (with very small children)? Can someone please give me some insight. As always, I tank you so much in advance.

The silicone will smell until it fully cures which can take I think 24 hours it says on the tubes we use. After that I have never noticed it making any odor. We use it on gas venting and pellet venting.

Agree with jtp, you did the right thing. Regardless of the 'required', overkill when sealing a combustion vent is a good thing. Smell will be gone when cured with no probs, long term for your fam is the fact that it is better sealed. Got CO detectors? One in the stove room, one by the bedrooms depending on your layout. Must do.

I appreciate your replies. I feel better now that I got some sort of confirmation that I did the right thing. Again, bless you all. i do have CO detector. It will be located at the hall way leading to all the bedrooms - about 15' away from the stove. Again, thank you.

i bought that vent too... after 2 hrs of running my stove i sealed everything with silicone... some how some way i could smell smoke in the room with the stove
once i sealed it ... nothing every since YOU DID THE RIGHT THING
sit back and enjoy!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.