High temp silicone question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
Hey guys and gals,
I'm going to try and do my liner install tomorrow. I went to Lowe's yesterday to pick up the last of my supplies, and I couldn't find anything in the caulking or wood stove section that said "high temp silicone". I did find the DAP brand 2000F rated stuff, which I bought, is that what I need? That seems like it will be fine for the blockoff plate stuff, and I have some furnace cement for sealing the blockoff plate and the stove adaptor connection. Am I just being too literal here, or do I need to go somewhere else to find a different product?

Hope everyone had a great Holiday.

Thanks, I guess I was thinking of the top plate too. It seems like that DAP stuff isn't as "sticky" as regular silicone caulk, and wouldn't seal that top plate to the top of the chimney as well, but I am probably over thinking this one. Just want to get it right!

The top should never get that hot unless you hve a major problem. Regular 600 degree silicone adhesive should be fine up there

i think that the ratings on the glue is for a set amount of time, maybe 4h. i was under the impression that its a fire stop, like emergency situation stop fire from spreading and buy you some time thing. i think that the liner sied of the block off plate should be sealed with cement, but silicone should be fine for where the plate meats anything else.

I know I'm being a freak about this, but we're just talking about regular silicone caulk, right? I looked on the tube and didn't see anything about it being rated up to 600F.

HD has Hi Temp RTV silicone set out around the wood stoves. Or any local hardware store should have it also.

My mistake its 400 * but even at that if where you are sealing is to a masonry chiminy if that gets to 400 you have bigger problems

I say that 100% silicone is 100% silicone and nobody has come along in two years to prove me wrong. They are both going to vaporize at 800F.

RTV just means Room Temperature Vulcanization. Guess what? They both vulcanize at room temperature. One is red, one is clear. Yawn.

The difference is just like the difference between a pasta entree and a plate of noodles. About eight bucks.

BB
I think what hes talking about is his top plate on a masonry chimney. Do you think thats going to be 800* ?

I guess I'm asking about the perimiter of the block off plate and where the cap meets the clay tile sticking out the top of my chimney. Maybe I should start a poll: what did you use and where? Regular silicone for the top plate, high temp for the perimiter of blockoff plate, and furnace cement for use around the ss liner?

pulldownclaw said:
I guess I'm asking about the perimiter of the block off plate and where the cap meets the clay tile sticking out the top of my chimney. Maybe I should start a poll: what did you use and where? Regular silicone for the top plate, high temp for the perimiter of blockoff plate, and furnace cement for use around the ss liner?

Regular silicone for top and bottom plates and stove door gasket rope around the liner hole in the block off plate.

Smokey said:
Is silicone OK to use for door gaskets?
Yeap works great. Just did one with it. Hold much better than cement IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.