High Temperature Silicone For Flashing Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kolbyTheDog

Nov 19, 2007
Central Illinois
I am finishing up the install of my Metalbestos Class A Chimney for a freestanding wood stove. In the manual for the chimney it says I need to use "High Temperature Silicone" to secure the storm collar to the pipe and flashing.

I purcashed some DAP brand 100% Silicone Rubber Sealant that according to their website, is good up to 400 degrees F. Is this good enough or do I need something more? I remember seeing some Red high temperature caulk at the store in the caulk isle... It was like $7 a tube....

How hot does the outside of Class A Chimney pipe get?

Thanks in advance!

I say what you have is good enough, we used it for years for that application. It is highly unlikely that the outside of an insulated pipe exposed to outdoor weather will hit over 400 degree. Yes, there is Red or Black stuff with a higher rating, but I think you will be OK.

Exception - if this is somewhere where you never want to have even a 1% chance of caulking again (it is, in theory, possible for the outside of said pipe to exceed 400, but HIGHLY unlikely)......so if you are 60 feet up with a bucket truck, get the black stuff. Otherwise regular silicone should do the job nicely. This type of seam is good to go over (with more caulk) every couple years anyway, because of wind shifting it, expansion, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.