1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

High Valley 2500 Problems

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by CycoMudderz, Dec 3, 2010.

1. CycoMudderz

CycoMudderz New Member

Loc:
    Polkville Ms
    Just purchased a used High Valley 2500 in great shape for a great deal. Got it installed and for some reason, It will not keep a fire. When I close and latch the door, it smothers out the flames. My chimney is drawing like it is supposed to, so I dont know what is wrong. Anyone have any ideas? I cleaned the insert before I installed and blew out the air intakes, but now I am out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Need more info here. Full description of the chimney set up and what wood/when it was split/how it was stored?

Edit: For the benefit of people posting advice, the High Valley 2500 is a big honkin 3.5 cubic foot steel cat stove with a bypass damper.
  3. CycoMudderz

CycoMudderz New Member

Loc:
    Polkville Ms
    Oak (water), Cut about 4 months ago, Split yesterday. Traditional brick chimney ( what do you mean about "Full description of the chimney set up")?
  4. CycoMudderz

CycoMudderz New Member

Loc:
    Polkville Ms
  5. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    What is wrong is that wood. To burn worth a damn it needed to be split and stacked for drying a year ago. At the moment it is like trying to burn a wet sponge.
  6. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Do a search on the forum for "dry wood".
  7. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Hate to say it . . . but sounds like the issue is not having seasoned wood . . . for best results . . . especially with the EPA stoves, but even for pre-EPA stoves . . . wood does best when cut, split and stacked a year or so prior (this of course can vary depending on the wood species and climate -- i.e. oak tends to need to season longer and a place with dry, arid condition may cause the moisture in the split wood to dry out quicker.)
  8. billz

billz Member

Loc:
    Fountain Inn SC
    I have the same stove but the oposite problem. I can't get it to damper down enough. If I load more than two splits and close the the air dampers - it still burns to hot.

Did you run a flix liner up the chimney? That stove has an 8 inch flue. When I have a hot fire going and hold the door 1/2 inch open the draft will pull the door shut. I have a 30 foot flex liner up the chimney.