High Valley 2500 Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycoMudderz

Dec 3, 2010
Polkville Ms
Just purchased a used High Valley 2500 in great shape for a great deal. Got it installed and for some reason, It will not keep a fire. When I close and latch the door, it smothers out the flames. My chimney is drawing like it is supposed to, so I dont know what is wrong. Anyone have any ideas? I cleaned the insert before I installed and blew out the air intakes, but now I am out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Need more info here. Full description of the chimney set up and what wood/when it was split/how it was stored?

Edit: For the benefit of people posting advice, the High Valley 2500 is a big honkin 3.5 cubic foot steel cat stove with a bypass damper.

What is wrong is that wood. To burn worth a damn it needed to be split and stacked for drying a year ago. At the moment it is like trying to burn a wet sponge.

Do a search on the forum for "dry wood".

CycoMudderz said:
Oak (water), Cut about 4 months ago, Split yesterday. Traditional brick chimney ( what do you mean about "Full description of the chimney set up")?

Hate to say it . . . but sounds like the issue is not having seasoned wood . . . for best results . . . especially with the EPA stoves, but even for pre-EPA stoves . . . wood does best when cut, split and stacked a year or so prior (this of course can vary depending on the wood species and climate -- i.e. oak tends to need to season longer and a place with dry, arid condition may cause the moisture in the split wood to dry out quicker.)

I have the same stove but the oposite problem. I can't get it to damper down enough. If I load more than two splits and close the the air dampers - it still burns to hot.

Did you run a flix liner up the chimney? That stove has an 8 inch flue. When I have a hot fire going and hold the door 1/2 inch open the draft will pull the door shut. I have a 30 foot flex liner up the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.