High wind & Red Flag warnings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Mat Valley:
75MPH winds,:eek:
Red flag : Fire warnings with low humidity.
Had one fire near Palmer this afternoon .

Weird winter. No snow. Clear, cold & dry & now high winds.

highwnd.jpg

Power line fell around lunch and started a fire out here. They got it put out fairly quickly and power restored.

Shesh...those kinds of winds would make me crazy trying to keep the draft under control.

The winds don't really effect my stove. The wind is normal, the fires not so much!

20-30 is somewhat normal here in winter, but above that or the right direction and the draft gets REALLY good. Our flue is just a straight shot from the stove through the attic and out near the peak with only maybe 4' outside. I wonder if cat stoves behave differently in wind than tube stoves.

Yeah, seeing a fire hazard warning in late November for Alaska was a eye brow raiser. Kinda figure'd there's be snow enough by now to make that not so much of a problem. Do you typically have snow cover by now/

I swear I remember a lot more snow by now years ago. Seems more often now to have rain for Christmas than snow.

We had a little snow so far an inch or 2 by the weather data., It evaporated or blew away.
25°, 35 MPH winds, gusts up to 57 MPH, clear, dusty.
Wind even blew a few spruce splits off the stack in the wood shed.
Today's picture,10AM , Sun be up over the Mts soon ;)
Nov30,12wood.JPG

We had a little snow so far an inch or 2 by the weather data., It evaporated or blew away.
25°, 35 MPH winds, gusts up to 57 MPH, clear, dusty.
Wind even blew a few spruce splits off the stack in the wood shed.
Today's picture,10AM , Sun be up over the Mts soon ;)
View attachment 83188
Hey there Bogy! I remember you telling about how windy it gets a couple years ago. Batten down the hatches! By the way, looks like you woodshed needs a moose alongside it...again! Is your sunrise relly that late???

Hey there Bogy! I remember you telling about how windy it gets a couple years ago. Batten down the hatches! By the way, looks like you woodshed needs a moose alongside it...again! Is your sunrise relly that late???

Sure glad not using tarps anymore.
We go below 6 hours of sun in a few days <>
Sun peeks over the Mts around 1040 AM. Official sun rise 9:47 but the shadow of the mountains with the low sun angle ( 7° ) now make it a little later here.
Not much heat value in the sun now. In 3 weeks we start back to gaining daylight :)
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=18&month=12&year=2012&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Does this make you wonder about those days before television? Do you ever wonder what those folks did with all that time after dark?

Does this make you wonder about those days before television? Do you ever wonder what those folks did with all that time after dark?

Large families werent just in rural or agricultural regions obviously.Johnny Carson said after the Great NYC Blackout in 1965 "In 9 months lots of newborn boys will be named Otis;)"

Status
Not open for further replies.