High Winds and Lots of Rain Headed for N.E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that just hit me... I need to buy a chain saw. What can you guys recommend for a bar length for just scrounging wood from the storm? Won't be taking trees down on purpose with it... I'll let Mother Nature do that part.

ClydesdaleBurner said:
Yeah that just hit me... I need to buy a chain saw. What can you guys recommend for a bar length for just scrounging wood from the storm? Won't be taking trees down on purpose with it... I'll let Mother Nature do that part.
16 to 20 in

Brutal day at work today. Came home and covered what wood I could with the tarps I have. Hopefully they won't catch the wind like sails and topple my piles over. I have gas for the saws and plenty of sharp chains. Since my motorcycle ride is canceled tomorrow, I'll stay home and work on the house and hope Hannah doesn't do too much damage.

ClydesdaleBurner said:

16 to 20 is fine, as said above. You can do almost anything with a 16. This is actually a good time of year to buy one. Both Stihl and Husky are getting into promo mode right now.

Covered my pile Ya its small . I m a scrounger let her BLOW . next year more wood plus woodshed . Thanks john corizine for my 800.00 hushmoney tax rebate JOKE .

Im just dying to see how my woodpile holds up in the wind. No worries, I think, on the rain. Seems like a real fast mover.

i'm getting contrasting weather reports(how surprising lol) one report is half inch of rain overnight winds ese 15-25mph, the other site is saying almost an inch and half of rain and 50mph winds. guess i'll just wait and see. anyway i just got back from putting some extra rocks on the tarps on the top of my woodpile, gonna continue to leave sides open as usual.

We are 6.59 inches of rain so far and the wind gusts are in the 40's.

Update: Weather station just north of our house has now recorded 7.5 inches with several more hours to go. I just made my way down the driveway and the stream under our driveway is usually ten to twelve feet wide. It is now between 120 and 130 feet wide and raging. My bridge is down there under it somewhere.

BrotherBart said:
We are 6.59 inches of rain so far and the wind gusts are in the 40's.

Update: Weather station just north of our house has now recorded 7.5 inches with several more hours to go. I just made my way down the driveway and the stream under our driveway is usually ten to twelve feet wide. It is now between 120 and 130 feet wide and raging. My bridge is down there under it somewhere.

HOLY S@@T!

Webmaster said:
2:30 PM, just mowed the lawn. Ho-Hum, no rain, just a spritz last night overnight....soon come, I see....

Shouldn't be much left for you. I think it all dumped in my yard. Small success. I just got the water coming into the basement stopped!

Tarps are over the pile for the first time. The area the pile is in is wide open on top of a hill in the yard. Time will tell if the tarps and bungee cords hold. This is my first year burning for heat, so i will look at this as another step in the learning process. Good luck everyone!

Good to hear that you are getting ahead of the basement BB. I've never experienced anything like that amount of rain. That is truly biblical! Hope it dries out soon.

Finally got some heavy rain around 4pm. It has been coming down in buckets since 7pm, not much wind though. We will not see 7+ like BB, probably more like 2-3". Today was as humid as I have ever experienced in NE.

here in Stamford it has been humid like New Orleans all day, getting worse and worse until about 3pm or so when it started raining. No high winds, but heavy rain to lighter rain all afternoon and evening. The rain is winding down now and I'm guessing maybe we got around 3 inches total. I covered my main woodpile for the first time but had to leave some smaller woodpiles left open. But those are for next year anyway.

Here in the Catskills of NY the rain has stopped and the winds are picking up. I heard a big branch snap in the forest - sounded like a week's worth of heat.

Local weather in Sherman, CT says around 6 inches. Looks like most of it dumped within a few hours while I was upstate visiting relatives. Ill check my drainage tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.