High winds, and smoke coming out of my vent pipe into the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate New York
Tonight, we are having very high winds - up to 60 mph gusts - and my stove was trying to relight itself. But it was full of smoke and smoke was starting to come out around where the vent pipe comes out. I figured that it was because the gusts were blowing down the pipe and overcoming the combustion blower to some degree. I got rid of ash from the burnpot and scraped it, and it lit up nicely after that.

Pook said:
what are your chimney proximities to the roofline?
sounds like downdrafting & i'd pay attentions to the gusts?

Hi Pook, my vent pipe goes up 2 stories, then out of the house horizontally through the end of a gable. It sticks outside about 3 feet then turns down slightly.

Is it safe to operate a pellet stove when it is very windy? We have always not used our fireplace during a windstorm. I ahve always wanted to ask that question.

kh395269 said:
Is it safe to operate a pellet stove when it is very windy? We have always not used our fireplace during a windstorm. I ahve always wanted to ask that question.

I hope it is, I'm depending on my stove for heat. I wonder what the worst is that could happen - maybe set the hopper on fire in an extreme case ?

Status
Not open for further replies.