High winds and weakened trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
I spent at least 4 hours over the weekend picking branches up all over the property. Filled the truck up at least 7 times. The last load was taken to the back of the property where I could see clearly that the chain saw was needed. The high winds had taken the tops out of three big trees all in a line. The first was a good size oak, followed by a maple, and then a tulip popular. Upon inspection the first two trees were weakened previously by lightning. The oak at least three times. I took pictures of the 3 strikes the oak had taken over the years which weakened it to the point it could not take the winds. Same with the maple. Tulip populars are not that strong to begin with, so I guess it was its time to go as well.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 075.jpg
    bearded asil hen 075.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 124
  • bearded asil hen 076.jpg
    bearded asil hen 076.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 122
  • bearded asil hen 077.jpg
    bearded asil hen 077.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 133
  • bearded asil hen 078.jpg
    bearded asil hen 078.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 124
  • bearded asil hen 080.jpg
    bearded asil hen 080.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 133
  • bearded asil hen 081.jpg
    bearded asil hen 081.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 148
  • bearded asil hen 079.jpg
    bearded asil hen 079.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: ScotO and zap
Yep, a little work there, be careful! A C

Reactions: ScotO and zap
be careful dropping those trees TimJ, watch for snapped limbs and widowmakers hanging in other branches when dropping them. Looks like a lot of quality BTU's, from a whole spectrum of firewood.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Got your work organized by mother nature.
Like said, be careful. Looks like there's allot to clean up.
Wonder if the oak with that many wounds will be tough to split.

I have a bunch of trees just like that on my property from the huge windstorm.......It takes a long time to cut them and process them since I pay very close attention to everything. Trees like that are dangerous and need to be treated with the utmost respect

That last one looks tough. I would be tempted to drop it straight ahead (from the perspective of the photo) but that one branch that is growing over top the camera would make me think twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.