Higher BTU's Hard or Soft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
Hello...

So when I had hardwood everyone said I had to try softwood that they burn "hot, fast, and dirty". So after getting a ton of softwoods (freedom fuel) from the depot, I have come to the conclusion that they do burn fast they are extremely dirty and the heat well isn't as hot as hardwood. Is this what others have experienced???

No, I find that the quality of the fiber is what makes the pellet hotter. I have burned both quality hard and soft. Got great heat from both. They also burn very clean.

My testing is here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

The lowest ash I recorded so far was from a softwood. Second place is also a softwood. 3rd is a hardwood.

The highest temp I recorder so far is from a hardwood. Second place is also a hardwood. 3rd is a softwood.

But these numbers are so close there barely noticable. What makes a bad pellet is crap in the fiber, to high an ash percentage. It doesn't mater what the fiber species is at all. I am sure the other seasoned burners will agree.

P.S. Wish I had a Douglas fir on my list to burn. Then you would see some HEAT!

dhungy said:
Hello...

So when I had hardwood everyone said I had to try softwood that they burn "hot, fast, and dirty". So after getting a ton of softwoods (freedom fuel) from the depot, I have come to the conclusion that they do burn fast they are extremely dirty and the heat well isn't as hot as hardwood. Is this what others have experienced???

I wouldn't use Freedom Fuel as a gauge. Something like Okanagans, Spruce Pointe, Dragon Mtn, or Rocky Mtn would be a better test of what a good burning softwood pellet is.

Freedom Fuel, on a scale of 1 to 10, is about a 4 in my book (I test burned some....YUCK)

take a look at jtakemans mini test results:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

After burning about 15 bags of these freedom fuel pellets i picked up two bags of clean fuel for lowes. I am running them now and they are keeping the room 10 degrees warmer. There is def a difference. I wish I had a thermometer for my stove.

macman said:
dhungy said:
Hello...

I wouldn't use Freedom Fuel as a gauge. Something like Okanagans, Spruce Pointe, Dragon Mtn, or Rocky Mtn would be a better test of what a good burning softwood pellet is.

Freedom Fuel, on a scale of 1 to 10, is about a 4 in my book (I test burned some....YUCK)

take a look at jtakemans mini test results:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

Hey Mac... how'd you like burning rocky mountains? I jumped at the opportunity and bought 5 bags when I had the chance. i had heard som many good things about them, not to mention it says on the bag "best money can buy" - lol. I was very dissapointed. They burned real clean, but my 25pdvc didnt put out hardly any heat! I have noticed this with most all softwoods. With hardwood barefoots and my stove on 5/9 I get 220 air. I ran the stove on 9/9 with the rocky mountains and couldn't get above 165.

Orange Crush CJ-7 said:
Hey Mac... how'd you like burning rocky mountains? I jumped at the opportunity and bought 5 bags when I had the chance. i had heard som many good things about them, not to mention it says on the bag "best money can buy" - lol. I was very dissapointed. They burned real clean, but my 25pdvc didnt put out hardly any heat! I have noticed this with most all softwoods. With hardwood barefoots and my stove on 5/9 I get 220 air. I ran the stove on 9/9 with the rocky mountains and couldn't get above 165.

OC cj-7,

I too found the Rockies were a little lacking in the heat department. They burned pretty clean for me, Just could not get great heat from them. I think it has to do with the fact there grinding and hammer milling whole logs. If the grindings are not fine enough, you get a kind of wood chip type pellet. I guess it doesn't compress as good as a sawdust only pellet. macman and I both noticed them to have a very coarse almost woody fines. Hopefully they get there consistency right. Not depending on sawdust is something we may need if the building trades don't pickup anytime soon. I am still going to support them even if I can only burn them in the shoulders. Just something to think about anyway. I give them an A for effort! :)

I have an Avalon Astoria. Just went through the night kept the stove on thermostat same heat setting etc. the hardwoods (clean energy) burned about a quarter the amount of pellets then with softwoods (freedom fuel)

dhungy said:
I have an Avalon Astoria. Just went through the night kept the stove on thermostat same heat setting etc. the hardwoods (clean energy) burned about a quarter the amount of pellets then with softwoods (freedom fuel)

Again, You are comparing a good pellet to a so so pellet. Go and find 2 bags of Okies or Spruce Pointes. These are good to great softwoods and will easily meet the spec's of the Clean Energy. You can't expect to get anything from a sub par pellet. Just not going to happen.

JMHO.
jay

I have yet to find a place that sells these good softwood pellets.. anyone know of any in The Finger Lakes region of NY?

dhungy said:
I have yet to find a place that sells these good softwood pellets.. anyone know of any in The Finger Lakes region of NY?

Try sending forum member "BTU" a PM, and ask him where the nearest place is near you that sells Okanagans, or Dragon Mtn, etc. he works for the distributor in the USA.

Orange Crush CJ-7 said:
.....Hey Mac... how'd you like burning rocky mountains? I jumped at the opportunity and bought 5 bags when I had the chance. i had heard som many good things about them, not to mention it says on the bag "best money can buy" - lol. I was very dissapointed. They burned real clean, but my 25pdvc didnt put out hardly any heat! I have noticed this with most all softwoods. With hardwood barefoots and my stove on 5/9 I get 220 air. I ran the stove on 9/9 with the rocky mountains and couldn't get above 165.

I just finished a bag today that I put in the stove last night. It was about 26 outside here. I had the bottom buttons at 4-2-1, and heat at 5-6 on a stat set to 67 at night, 70 daytime. Woke up at 6am to a 70 degree house.

I agree, though, not as "hot" as I had hoped and was led to believe reading the forum, but not a terrible pellet by any means. Ash level is low. Glad I only paid $214/ton for them. My multi fuel 10-cpm will burn anything...LOL.

Orange Crush, what are your bottom 3 buttons set to?

I liked the rocky mountains last year. They burned nice and hot. I can't find any this year. Maybe they changed there pellet from last year? Macman were those rockys this years batch or last year?

Schoondog

jtakeman said:
No, I find that the quality of the fiber is what makes the pellet hotter. I have burned both quality hard and soft. Got great heat from both. They also burn very clean.

My testing is here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

The lowest ash I recorded so far was from a softwood. Second place is also a softwood. 3rd is a hardwood.

The highest temp I recorder so far is from a hardwood. Second place is also a hardwood. 3rd is a softwood.

But these numbers are so close there barely noticable. What makes a bad pellet is crap in the fiber, to high an ash percentage. It doesn't mater what the fiber species is at all. I am sure the other seasoned burners will agree.

P.S. Wish I had a Douglas fir on my list to burn. Then you would see some HEAT!

Evening Jay,
I've been fine tuning my Englander 25PDVC and burning those HD Winter Warmth pellets and I've been averaging right around 300 degrees F. with a cheapo oven thermometer( pic below). It's 5 above zero here right now and I'm roasting here on a 2 & 2 setting ( 5-6-1) on the stove. I've only burned a few brands of pellets in the last 2 years but these puppies are the best and they're HOT! I bought more of these today, got the last 12 bags they had until their next delivery...Lorne.

Attachments

• sttemp1.jpg
    sttemp1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 250
Status
Not open for further replies.