Higher temp-Easier control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Okay so I got over that fear of 500 degrees on the pipe. I've learned alot here over the last month about the proper ways to keep and maintain a smokeless fire even in a 30+ year old stove. I guess it makes sense that a hotter firebox would be easier to control but I guess there is a science to it. I'm guessing the splits must reach a certain point in their mass whereas the slightest air adjustment can control the burn? Tonight I was able to dial in any temp from 450 upwards of 750 and the stove pipe would react and settle within 5 minutes. 750 degrees was rather impressive...talk about radiating some heat! I think bricks in the hearth thought they were being cured again. :)

Thanks for all the good reads and someday I hope to get one of those newer designs for my second hearth that currently sits empty.

hareball said:
Okay so I got over that fear of 500 degrees on the pipe. I've learned alot here over the last month about the proper ways to keep and maintain a smokeless fire even in a 30+ year old stove. I guess it makes sense that a hotter firebox would be easier to control but I guess there is a science to it. I'm guessing the splits must reach a certain point in their mass whereas the slightest air adjustment can control the burn? Tonight I was able to dial in any temp from 450 upwards of 750 and the stove pipe would react and settle within 5 minutes. 750 degrees was rather impressive...talk about radiating some heat! I think bricks in the hearth thought they were being cured again. :)

Thanks for all the good reads and someday I hope to get one of those newer designs for my second hearth that currently sits empty.

What kind of t-stat are you using on your pipe - magnetic type or a probe?

When I get my probe to ~500 or so (about 400 on the surface type), any surface thermometer on the stove is in 7-800 deg range.
Granted, it's not glowing (yet), but I gotta take care of the old girl for the rest of the season ;-)

Hopefully Uncle Sam is going to be nice to me this year, so I can join all you EPA users.

Have a Happy, Healthy and, most important, SAFE, New Year !

Thank you, same to you too!

I have a Condar magnetic about 18" up the pipe.

This was my first time taking it up that high and everything went smooth, somehow by holding around 550 on the pipe I was getting better burn times and by morning the house was still warm with 3 splits thrown on a big coal bed before I went to sleep.
The Fisher was never intended to have to work that hard as my Father did put a second hearth in the home around the same time but that stove became unsafe a few years ago so it was scraped. I'd like to get one of them EPA stoves with that secondry burn technology someday and set it up on that hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.