1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Highest stove pipe probe thermometer temp.?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by tfdchief, Jan 6, 2013.

1. ridemgis

ridemgis Burning Hunk

Loc:
    South Kingstown, Rhode Island
    900 internal probe, 225 double wall surface with IR

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    For the record . . . putting flour on a fire is generally not a good idea . . . if applied incorrectly it can not only catch on fire, but can actually explode . . . if just dumped on to a fire it will typically put out a fire simply by cutting it off from the oxygen supply . . . but a far better material to use would have been baking soda. Just a FYI.

Incidentally . . . these flour dust explosions most often occur in mills and not homes though . . .

http://lacrossetribune.com/newsupda...cle_f0c46c39-58c5-5025-8ef9-b16f35e3dc0d.html
    tfdchief and rideau like this.
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Oh yeah . . . to answer the original question . . . a little bit north of 900 degrees F with a probe thermo . . . caused by leaving the air control open and showering . . . brushing my teeth . . . etc.
  4. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Fresh load of very dry kindling and some smallish chunks mostly maple and birch in a cold stove, I lit it, left air open, door closed, and walked away - it went from zero to @1000 in the time it took to brew a coffee. Not sure how accurate the Osburn flue probes are but assuming they're not too far off, then I'd say 1000 degrees is my 'personal best" (best fubar, that is...)
  5. northernontario

northernontario Member

Loc:
    Ontario
    With my digital temp probe (PID controller and a 2000F temp probe)... 18" above the stove, measuring approx. center of flue temps... You can very quickly get up over 1000F, especially with smaller splits and dry wood. I say quickly, I mean under a minute, if you've got a coal bed already.

My personal best... north of 1300F. I had the alarm set to go at 1200F, and I think by the time I got across the kitchen and down the stairs, the stove was approaching 1400F... but outer surface temps on the single wall flue pipe were still in the "normal" range, as the magnetic thermometer hadn't adjusted quickly enough (and flue surface temps are always slow to respond due to pipe flow characteristics.)

I've now got the alarm set for 1100F.
  6. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    Yes, I am aware but that was all I had, it was a whole 5 lb bag sliced open and dumped, to smother the fire,but I would not recommend doing it ever again, it was just a knee jerk panic reaction on my 2nd day with my stove :(
  7. oldspark

oldspark Guest

I think you guys are worring about nothing, a spike once in a while at those temps is nothing to worry about.
    tfdchief likes this.
  8. bag of hammers

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Interesting point - I guess the flip side of the discussion is that you can get so worried about the high temps that you never really let your stove run hot enough, and get more accumulated crap in the flue...?

For me the scary part of the 1000+ deg spike was mostly that I wasn't paying attention and it was really fast. I think the pipe can stand up to twice that heat (short duration) but still I was a bit careless. Good learning experience.
    tfdchief likes this.
  9. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    I don't know what my stovepipe temp was at the time since I don't have a pipe thermometer, but I once hit 2000 F on the catalyst during a runaway 2 years ago. Entire upper fire back inside the firebox was orange. Scary.
  10. Excavator

Excavator Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central NJ
    if i let probe hit 1300 plus i see my double wall liner start to glow right at my block off plate and i hear the pipe make noise. Scares me if I ever let that happen so I just dont leave it any more until i turn down the air
  11. dentman4411

dentman4411 New Member

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i hit 600 on the single wall the other day. support box was smoking.. i shut the air down and closed the damper an you could instantly hear the metal shrinking.. sounded like someone throwing handfuls of BB's in there... Its still under investigation. some other members suggested the installer may have left some debris in there. either way i need it checked. also want to look into a probe...
  12. oldspark

oldspark Guest

600 aint nothing, hit that several times a week with no smell or smoking, if new install did they leave a sticker some where?
    tfdchief likes this.
  13. dentman4411

dentman4411 New Member

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oldspark - negative, no sticker but i did contact the installer and he chuckled and said same as you.. nothing to worry about at 600 its 900 he'd be concerned with. i mentioned this on another thread, i referred to the installer as "picasso" cause I swear he used a can of black spray paint to finish out the support box after installation. i suspect thats where the extra smoke came from. factory support boxes are most likely pre cured or even oven cured while the spray paint would leave some need for heat curing. still going into the support box to investigate. have to ya know...
  14. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    I did it. I installed the probe thermometer...another toy to play with.

So far, the probe is pretty consistently three times the exterior magnetic thermometer.

I have ICC ultrablack.

I paint my pipe grey to match my Woodstock stove, every time I take it apart, if and where it gets scratched. No big deal when I first use the stove after. A slight smell, but no smoke or anything of concern.
    tfdchief likes this.
  15. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Hey rideau, post a picture. I want to see the grey Woodstock and stove pipe
  16. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Left my camera at the other house. Will try to find a shot in my photo archive. If I do, I'll post it.

Just read the ICC manual, which states ICC pipe is safe at continuous 1200F operation, which makes me feel very safe. They don't recommend this temp for optimal burning.....much lower, don't remember if it is 500 or 600 as the max for best burning. Will check again.
  17. bag of hammers

Loc:
    Northern ON
    rideau - just curious - is your entire chimney also ICC product? I think they make a 1" SS chimney ?